2001 Ford F-150 4X4 working

• 1 POST
  • 2001 FORD F-150

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2001 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 87000 miles

when I turn the selector switch to 4x4 you can hear and feel it engage but there is still no power to the front tires, the front drive shaft turns going into the front differential. Any thoughts on what might be broke?

Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 12:22 PM

See my profile, Imma CJ Guy

I do not know your rig.....others who might know more, may jump in and tell you more.

You have a Decent description, but a little more detail might help me, or someone else to know where to start!

1st you say the driveshaft turns going into the diff.....if you have the transfer case locked in (like in 4X4) is the driveshaft "LOCKED" into the transfer case? (if engine off, + in 4X4, can you turn the front driveshaft?)

Next---the more involved test

Put in 4X4

Jack up the whole front......turn a front wheel, does the driveshaft turn?

Does the other wheel turn?

2 people--one on each wheelturn both does driveshaft turn?

With this info and knowing what should happen.

If you have a standard diff (NOT LIMITED SLIP)----if your front wheels are locked into your axle......in the air----one wheel will rotate the opposite direction of the other............with Limited slip, same direction

On my CJs, you lock in the MANUAL front wheel hubs.....the same is true...

BUT---(has happened w/ inexperienced passenger)

You tell them to lock their side inand they DO NOT DO IT COMPLETELY........I'm now shifted into 4X4, but my "UNLOCKED" axle spins freely--unseen inside the hubthe other wheel is non-powered because the differential transfers all power to the "SLIPPING AXLE"slipping wheel---broken axle.....whatever the case may be........Understand?

So your best scenerio here is:

Your Automatic locking hubs---one or both, may not be locking your axle on one or both sides----w/ a standard diff results are the same no power to either wheel......if you have power from the transfer case.

You might even get in close and MAYBE see if the wheel turns the axle....at the wheel where the axle goes in.

Worst may be something is broke, your testing will reveal transfer case or up front.

Your AUTOLOCKING HUBS.....may be dirty,....need greasing, other attention

Like I said, I do not know YOUR RIG......owners manual or a repair manual will probably tell you exactly what to do and how often!

If you use your imagination, like pretend a axle is not Attached to a wheel----like a hub NOT LOCKED, watch this video and YOU WILL UNDERSTAND what I am saying.

Respond with good news!!!

The Medic

Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 7:39 PM