2000 Ford F-150 Engine skip / misfire

BOBDOG
  • 2000 FORD F-150
For the last couple years I've been experienceing an intermittent problem associated with my engine misfiring. The problem reminds me of water in the gas; it is inconsistent; more common when engine is running at lower RPM's (1500 -2000) and just coming under load; Check engine light is on; the engine has always had a ping when under load; if run through a deep puddle (splash), the engine will sometimes sputter and chug for a period of minutes.
When the problem first started, I got some relief from replacing the wiring harness and plugs. Changing the plugs every 6 months has minimized the problem, but not a resolution and the problem now is becoming more frequent. I've also replaced the gas pump with no favorable impact.
Local mechanics suggest it might be the coil, EGR valve, injectors. Etc. Can you offer any insight?
Monday, July 28th, 2008 AT 6:50 AM

BMRFIXIT
Check intake gasket
also the coil
Monday, July 28th, 2008 AT 6:55 AM