Fuel pump not coming on?

JIMINI
  • 1999 FORD F-150
Fuel pump isn't working. I think the pump is located in the tank, so I'm not looking forward to having to replace it. I'm hoping you will tell me it's just a blown fuse or relay or some other easy fix.
Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 8:24 PM

2CEXPT
You got the basic idea how it suppose to work-now if the fuse and relay turns out good-power the fuel pump directly from the battery and see what happen if it comes on check the fuel pressure-pressure okay could be an injector/s not pulsing.

Now if it still don't have power when you turn key to run-check the computer fuel pump relay controlled circuit
Sunday, February 15th, 2009 AT 8:33 PM
RKLUG
  • 1998 FORD F-150
The truck is not getting fire to the coil, there is no fuel pressure. Was driving vehicle, it stalled, unable to recrank. The above description is what I have learned. Put a hand held diagnostic on it and it would "read" then show "error".
Thursday, September 10th, 2020 AT 10:51 AM (Merged)
If you lost both spark and fuel I want you to check the EEC relay under the hood. It is in the relay block. Switch it with another relay in the box with the same part number. Let me know if it changes anything.

RKLUG
Thanks Joe,
I have checked all relays as you suggested along with the fuses. If I did it correctly, the horn relay and the eec relay have the same parts number. The horn worked and I pluged it into the eec relay. The horn no longer worked but, was still not getting fire or fuel.
With the key in the run position, is there any power to the EEC relay?
RKLUG
Yes sir there is power
It sounds like a problem with the automatic shutdown relay. I have searched my resoruces and can't find its location on a 98.
RKLUG
Could it be the PCM?
Yes.
COWGIRLUP974
  • 1996 FORD F-150
I am trying to find out how you till a fule pump is not working. You can not hear it turn on when you trun the key on. When you try to strat the truck it wont trun over. We have looked for the intrunal turn off swich but we can not find it. We need help.
2CEXPT
The inertia fuel cut off switch is located behind the right kick panel
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Also check the relay. Relay number 2 in your power distribution box in your engine compartment. Swap it out with another relay that is same size. If this enables the pump to turn on, you just need to replace the fuel pump relay.

Hope this helped.
R85EDWARDS
  • 1994 FORD F-150
My truck listed above has dual tanks. Fuel pumps not running and used a test light to check for power. I had a very dim light and fuel tank connections. Checked inertia switch and tank selector and had no power, fuel relay was not pulling in but had power on terminal 30. I can jumper pin 6 at test port and pumps will run.
I am not sure what tells the ECM to close and ground the other side of the fuel relay.
ASEMASTER6371
Good evening,

The control side of the relay gets power from the power relay. That is the relay right next to the fuel pump relay. The ground is the ECM. It will run the pump for 2 seconds and then turn them on full while cranking and running.

Sponsored links