1999 Ford F-150

CURREN93
  • 1999 FORD F-150
My Service Engine Soon light came on and now my truck running bad. The problem is once I reach a speed of 20-35 mph the engine starts to running hard and seems as if it is missing and running ONLY on three too four cylinders. But once I reach and go beyond the above speed the truck or engine runs normal. After a few miles of continous driving it seems too reaches it normal temperature it will start running normal. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I need some help.
Saturday, October 18th, 2008 AT 7:55 PM

MERLIN2021
Sounds like the ECT(engine coolant temp) sensor. But first have the codes read and post the results.
First thing you need to do is have the codes read, Post the results with the code number(s). Even if the service engine light is not on, there should be freeze frame data stored.
If it won't make it, buy a cheap scanner, they can be had for 30-40 dollars, a good investment, since they cover all cars sold in the USA from 96 on.
If the light is blinking, it means possible damage to the converter. Service it right away!
Saturday, October 18th, 2008 AT 8:12 PM
CURREN93
I had the codes checked and these are the results:
Code: PO 302 Misfiriing in Cylinder 2
Code: PO 401 EGR Insuffient flow
Sunday, October 19th, 2008 AT 1:17 PM
MERLIN2021
Yep! Pull the egr off, clean the port under it all the way to the throttle plate, I use a length of steel coathanger. Put it all back together, reset the codes, if light comes on again, replace the EGR position sensor, thats the one the two small hoses from the exhaust plug into! P0302, Check the plug and the wire or boot if you have coil on plug system.
When was your last tune up?
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 2:10 PM
CURREN93
My last tune was atleast six to eight months ago and I had the egr sensor changed then.
Tuesday, October 21st, 2008 AT 5:26 PM
MERLIN2021
Geat, but it's probably NOT the sensor, thats why I said to clean the port out, it'sloaded with CARBON, and is not Flowing, hence the insufficient flow code!
Thursday, October 23rd, 2008 AT 5:03 PM