1997 Ford F-150 removing the starter

RHORNE18
  • 1997 FORD F-150
On my f150 I was able to get all the bolts off my starter besides the one on the top. It seems impossible to reach and there must be a tool for getting to that bolt, but im not sure what it is. If you have any tips or pointers thatd be great.

Thanks alot!

Ryan
Saturday, November 21st, 2009 AT 7:51 PM

How many bolts have you removed? Have you tried to access it through the inner fender? There are only 2 bolts that hold it on.

Are you sure the starter is bad? Here is a way to test it:

The battery must be in good condition and fully charged prior to performing this test.

1.Disable the ignition system. Verify that the vehicle will not start.
2.Connect a voltmeter between the positive terminal of the battery and the starter B+ circuit.
3.Turn the ignition key to the START position and note the voltage on the meter.
4.If voltage reads 0.5 volts or more, there is high resistance in the starter cables or the cable ground, repair as necessary. If the voltage reading is ok proceed to the next step.
5.Connect a voltmeter between the positive terminal of the battery and the starter M circuit.
6.Turn the ignition key to the START position and note the voltage on the meter.
7.If voltage reads 0.5 volts or more, there is high resistance in the starter. Repair or replace the starter as necessary.

Also, here is a picture of the two bolts that hold the starter in place. Also, have you removed the starter terminal cover?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_start_1.jpg

Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.

Sunday, November 22nd, 2009 AT 3:32 PM