1997 Ford F-150 PO171 code

MIAMIII13
  • 1997 FORD F-150

1997 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 63,000 miles

i need help with this code I know its a lean issue on bank 1 but what r the steps to eliminate things I already tried replacing the intake( plentum) gasket what else can I do? I dont have much money to keep replacing all these parts. The engine blew going 75 in cruize control so I replaced it with same thing. Now it is doing same thing. Iam going out to the garage to clean the maf sensor and check the crankcase vent tube, where is that on this engine? If some 1 can help me solve this problem I will donate whatever u want well almost anything u know what I mean. There is also a long metal tube the diameter of a nickel behind engine going down to the ground well I ft from ground that is not connected to anything and it is not the transmissin dipstick tube but runs along real close to it

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 5:48 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6

Hello

To help us better assist you could you please list the engine size? 4.2L, 4.6L, 5.4L etc?

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

-1
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 6:12 PM
MIAMIII13

This is a 4.6 engine vin code w

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 6:19 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_292.jpg

Let me know if you need the next step of diagnostic procedures..

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 6:25 PM
MIAMIII13

I had to use a pry bar on the egr valve to get it to lalign to the two mounting holes for the bolts to go on and crushed the top of egr valve would that affect its operationand if im right the egr valve is the tube from side of carb so to speak to the exhaust manifold on bank 2 side correct?

-1
Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 6:35 PM
MIAMIII13

How di check for vacume leaks and ca u answer some of the other questions in the paragraph plz ty so much I will try the opts u gave first then i'll ask for more help and plz look 4 me on here to keep me in check and in your mind thx

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 6:45 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

Sorry about that.. The PCV valve is located under thehood, center upper engine area, top of engine, mounted in passenger side valve cover. To check out your PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system, perform following procedures..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_293.jpg

If any step here leads you to an additional step not posted just let me know and I will get those to you as well..

As for the tube not connected, where is the top end connected? Was this noticed when replacing engine? Perhaps it was forgotten about when replacing the engine or it may just be a drain tube for ventilation tube for some component. Without a picture or more detailed location I am really unsure about it..

To check for vacuum leaks, spray something such as carb ceaner on all vacuum hoses and listen for the RPM's to change. If the RPM changes then you know there is a leak in that spot. Do this to all hoses and visually inspect them for damage/kinks..

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 7:10 PM
MIAMIII13

Ok now how bout egr thing I asked if it is dented in a bit will that cause it to not operate properly? What does the egr do? Can that be the problem? Also I did just replace the pcv in valve cover and now it sounds like I have a engine knock really loud. I did nt replace with oem or adequit part just saw one that looked like it and used that. Is that normal?

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 9:37 PM
MIAMIII13

I replaced my old engine with a 2000 mercury grand marquis engine. I had to change the intake(plentum) and the injectors and use my 2 coil packs instead of the coil paks on the spark plug itself. Cuz of the intake wouldn't match up to the air intakei had for my truck. Is that ok also. What a head ache I have so sick of this. The other engine was doin the same thing then the engine blew 2 cylinders, bent and destroyed 2 spark plugs ruined a coil pak and bent and ruined the lifters well the lash adjusters. I need help so bad. I will try all the things u sugested tomorrow morn and will be looking forward to your answers to my next questions tomorrow morning or mid day sometime.
Thx again u r a savior to me if this all works without replacing all the sensors and other related parts until im broke

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 9:47 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

Pic of EGR valve is below.. it will be ok dented as long as it isn't a huge denting that is smashed it together top and bottom..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_1_17.jpg

No anytime you have an engine knock something is not right. Are you sure you replaced it properly? I always recommend OEM parts but I wouldn't think a different brand part would cause an engine knock..

The intake will be fine.

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

Friday, March 6th, 2009 AT 10:09 PM
MIAMIII13

Ok well egr is dented at the top of it where the smallest circle part of it and the pcv valve is knocking when installed stops knocking when I take it out of valve cover and engine bogs maybei should just replace the egr as a precaution and who knows maybe it will be the problem

Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 12:07 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

You can clean the EGR and related components with carb cleaner and brush to get the carbon build up out. This usually fixes any EGR valve related troubles for a temporary amount of time.

Thanks for using 2CarPros. Com!

Saturday, March 7th, 2009 AT 12:11 AM
MIAMIII13

Ok I cleaned the maf sensor, I replaced the egr and the pcv valve and replaced all the vacume lines that I saw what else shouldi do? I am going to return the egr vlve as it did not change the way it ran a bit and I could use that on something else that I need. Do u think I should replace the bank 1 o2 sensor? Or what should I do bext plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help

Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 12:38 AM
MIAMIII13

I went and replaced the pcv valve with the oem and the knocking is fixed but the hesitation, lack of power and rough idle are still there. And I stated b4 in the last reply I replaced the egr and the truck still runs like crap. So im gonna return the egr and put the original one back on and save the 50.00 for the real part. Oh and I cleaned the maf sensor and the air filter.

Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 1:14 AM
MIAMIII13

Also I thought I would mention that when I unplugged the maf sensor the engine did die therefore it is working properly

Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 1:18 AM
MIAMIII13

I also need the next step after the #41 u gave me.

Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 1:34 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_295.jpg

A lot of steps here okay so read carefully and if it leads you somewhere different let me know so I can post it further.. I know it seems like a lot of time consuming trouble but it will save you a lot of money in the end..

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname2_90.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname3_48.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname4_31.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname5_14.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname6_8.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname7_2.jpg

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!

Sunday, March 8th, 2009 AT 10:52 PM
MIAMIII13

Ok u have totally lost me now. I have no clue on what any of those procedures r or how to perform them. I dont even know what dtc"s are or koer self test or how to do any of that can you plz put that into laymans terms so that any idiot can do it or is their no help for my problem? Can any1 help me out there. I was involved in an accident with my wifes car yesterday and now this truck is the only way for my family to get around now and last time this happened my engine blew before I figured out was wrong. Some1 plzzzzzzzzzzzzhelp me

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 12:09 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

Okay. Basically you need to inspect visually, as well as with a meter, all your wiring to the main computer as well as the wires to the sensors (MAF, EGR etc.).

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 12:23 AM
MIAMIII13

Ok I jut remembered that I broke the wires off under the plentum connected to the knock sensor I believe. There is a sensor under the plentum dead center under plentum, on top, in middle of the block. Not the heat sensor on the bank 1 head under plentum but dead center where u cant reach unless u take plentum back off wires r connected to harness but not to sensor and they r bare would or could that be the problem? Just remember that the block and heads in truck now are from the 2000 grand marquis not the original f-150 block and heads, and the 2000 engine had no knock sensor in it where the f-150 4.6 did and has it in the wire harness where the 2000 harness doesnt so I put one in but I broke the sensor tightening it and broke the wires off and they r bare under the plentum probably touching the head, plentum or block arching or does it do that? Awaiting the answer to this one asap plz

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 12:24 AM
BLUELIGHTNIN6

Well that sounds very dangerous and I'm sure it is causing an issue. No for sure way to tell if that is the exact cause of the problem you have without fixing it really.

Monday, March 9th, 2009 AT 12:28 AM