1996 Ford F-150 Check engine light

KEN GRUBBS
  • 1996 FORD F-150
Computer problem
1996 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual

This vehicle only has 52,000 miles and has not been driven very much the past 5 years. The recent work has been tune-up items, (spark plugs, air and fuel filters, cap and rotor, and clean throttle body). The engine light comes on and when I scan the codes PO 135, PO141, and PO155 all show up at the same time. If I clear them and start to drive, it takes approximately 3 miles to store the faults again. The vehicle runs so quiet and smooth that you barely know it's running. I took a gamble and replaced the 2 front O2 sensors, and it still faults the same 3 codes. Keep in mind that this is the smoothest running vehicle, if it wasn't for the check engine light being on, I wouldn't even be worried. Thanks, Ken
Friday, August 22nd, 2008 AT 7:24 PM

BMRFIXIT
Its the o2 heater circuit
u need to check the fuses as a 1st step
+1
Saturday, August 23rd, 2008 AT 6:15 AM
BRINTON
I have this same problem in my 1996 F-150 5.0 V8. I have checked the fuses as BMRFIXIT recommends, and they are fine. I was hoping that Mr. Grubbs could detail how he resolved the problem, or have others suggest solutions.

Brinton
Saturday, November 8th, 2008 AT 10:21 PM
BMRFIXIT
Do u have the same three codes?
Was the sensors replaced?
Saturday, November 8th, 2008 AT 10:25 PM
BRINTON
Dear BMRFIXIT,

Thank you for responding. I do have the same three codes. I have replaced all three o2 sensors and still have the same codes. I have.25 volts at the heater circuit of the pigtail connection to the o2 sensor. I am not sure if that reading is enough volts for the heater circuit. The fuse for the heater circuit is fine.

It is possible that I have a ground problem or an open circuit somewhere. When I turn on the factory radio, I do get a second or so of feedback just as it turns on. Perhaps this is causing or is a clue to the codes showing as a heater circuit problem?

The previous owner had an aftermarket alarm installed and an aftermarket hitch with lights for the trailer brakes. Perhaps these are also clues.

Please help!
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 7:31 AM
BMRFIXIT
Disconnect O2 sensor and turn key ON or start check for battery power at the plug
you should have battery power at one of the wires and a ground on the other if not suspect bad wire check the ORG wire
check if the fuse has battery power
Monday, November 10th, 2008 AT 12:52 PM