Replacement of Gas Tank?

PROJECTGUY
  • 1995 FORD F-150
I have a Ford F150 with a leaky rear fuel tank. Can I just remove the rear tank and plug the lines or will this cause a problem? Is there any information on how to properly remove/replace a fuel tank on a Ford F150?
Saturday, April 19th, 2008 AT 8:51 PM

BLACKOP555
You can leave the tank on there and just use the front tank, dont have to drop it and plug it, you could if you wanted.

To replace a tank just disconnect all hses and wires and cut the straps, and your done.
-2
Sunday, April 20th, 2008 AT 9:11 AM
C-LOW
  • 1995 FORD F-150
Good evening everyone. Let me start by saying that is a pleasure to be here. I have read through out the threads and althought I read similar problems none of them are closed to my situation.

As stated on the title I have a 1995 F150 that jerks when I use the rear tank. Before I realized that today I changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, gas and air filter ( things that needed to be done anyways so I dont feel I have waisted any money ) but the problem persisted. The problem started about a month ago and is driving me nuts. Sometimes when I get out on first it feels like its chocking and then do this little jerks almost like a electrical, but when I switch to the front tank it runs as smooth as a brand new car. Dont know where to start, maybe replacing the fuel pumps? Thanks in advanced.
+1
Tuesday, July 7th, 2020 AT 3:03 PM (Merged)
BAWEST
  • 1995 FORD F-150
Hi My 95 F150 is showing a code for heated o2 sensor, and is currently getting 8.2 miles per gallon. Can these be related? What else should I look for? The filter is new, and I have replaced the in tank pump on the front tank, saving for the rear. It has the 5.8 engine. It seems to lack power. As well as I can remember, the 5.8 F150 that my dad used to have would really pin you to the seat. This truck takes 12 sec. 0-60. Thank you, JB
INDYUKE
Has it had a thorough tune up recently? Fuel system (especially injectors) clean and good fuel pressure. Ignition timing correct and no leaking spark plug wires. Plugs gapped correctly. All sensors within range and not sluggish. All filters in good shape. Those are some things to look for.

An oxygen sensor that isn't working correctly. Or not at all would definately cause a difference in fuel economy. If it's gone bad, then most likely the computer has substituted a fixed value in place of the O2 sensor, allowing the truck to be driven but at a huge cost to efficiency. I hope this helps.
BAWEST
Hey thanks a lot. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. JB
KBRACING
  • 1995 FORD F-150
1995 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Manual

how do you go about removing the big line that I think go to the motor for fule on the tank. I got the othere off with the special disconnect tool. The line is bigger then the 3/8 one. Could I cut the one thats in the pump since its a in the tank pump and then jsut trying to get it out that way. What dose a new pump come with the lines for the return and the motor?
-1
RACEFAN966
I woud get the right tool. You should have a clip like this in the fuel line.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_5055138_1.jpg

Other wise you have this type which are even easier to get off.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_3104N_1.jpg

GAHATTEN
  • 1994 FORD F-150
I own a 94 f-150 2 wheel drive truck with dual fuel tanks. While driving the truck stalled. I transfered to the other tank and was able to restart the truck and drive. I noticed that I can not hear the fuel pump in the tank that I was driving on when it stalled but can on the working tank. I pulled the switch from the wiring harness and jumped the harness and I still obtain the small results the front tank works and the rear tank does not. Both fuel pumps were changed roughly 5 years ago when I had the same problem and it ended up being the dash switch that was the problem. Is there anything else I should check before draining the tank and replacing the fuel pump in the tank that is causing the problem such as relays or a fuse or fuse link?
BRUCE HUNT
I would sure think that you could find the wiring for the pump on that tank and wire it directly to see if it functions.
NEIL2013
  • 1994 FORD F-150
  • RWD
I am trying to remove the gas tank but, there is a rubber filler neck hose sticking out of the side of the gas tank.

It also has a heater hose clamp on it which I cannot access.

I cannot remove the bed for I have no help.

Thee is only 1/8 of an inch clearance on all 4 sides.

How can I remove the gas tank with the rubber hose attached to the gas tank?

Thank you for your time, help & attention.

Mr. Neil Williams
I grabbed this from "mitchell i"---screenshot it, moved their logo into view (as to show them credit), and cropped the page so that, hopefully, you can read it

sometimes you gotta be a contortionist or have special tools to get to some of the stuff. The ole "$9.99 socket set" of yesteryear just don't cut it now-a-days

sometimes you gotta improvise, like is it feasible to take the filler loose from the fill port and bring it all down at once?

I'm not familiar with removing the tank from your truck, mitchell is pretty good about explaining the correct way

i have the screen shot of the procedure and the only 2 diagrams that they had related to the tank. Sorry.I looked real hard!

Lemme know if this helps

the medic
If you remove it from the side of the bed, you should be able to remove it.
LUETHJEDANIEL
  • 1994 FORD F-150
While driving on the hwy as I switched from my front tank to my rear tank the truck died. The front tank was empty, but the rear tank was full. I filled up the front tank switched back to the front tank and truck runs fine, but the the truck dies when I switch to rear tank. Is this electrical (bad switch) or mechanical (bad filter or faulty pump). I have read that if one pump goes bad both should be replaced, any legitamacy to this theory? Where should I start?
JACK42
Do you hear the pump running when the switch is on "rear"? Could very well be a bad pump. Check for fuel pressure at the engine with the switch on rear. As far as replacing them both, that is your call, but they do have enough mileage on them that one quit. Something to consider
MIKETRISCH
  • 1994 FORD F-150
1994 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

how to remove the fuel tank
BLUELIGHTNIN6

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname_786.jpg

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/261618_Noname2_206.jpg

-1
EMINEMCANDY2000
  • 1994 FORD F-150
Is it possible to bypass the center fuel tank to make my truck totally dependant on the rear tank if so how do I do this? I realize that it will take a toll on my fuel economy, but the truck is on it's last legs and I just need it for a few more months untill I can afford a new truck. I do not want to get into costly repairs with replacing both fuel pumps. That I am sure is the problem. THanks for your time.

Larry
INDYUKE
Yes. On your truck there is a feed line and a return line going to the engine. If you don't care about the forward tank, just pull and plug the hoses going to it and hook up to the feed and return lines on the rear tank.
+1
KIESHA83
  • 1994 FORD F-150
1994 Ford F150 Two Wheel Drive Manual

My husband just bought a '94 F150 that is generally in good condition I guess.
His gas tank has a hole in it and the other one needs a tube I guess.
Where could I get one of these for him and about how much should I expect to spend on the stuff, I have someone to change the stuff?
Thank you,
Kiesha
BLUELIGHTNIN6
You should start by check at local salvage yards for the tank. They can give you price qoutes as well. Also check out sites such as craigslist. Com or ebay. Com to find the part you need.

Sponsored links