1995 Ford F-150 hesitates and stalls

CELLUSS
  • 1995 FORD F-150
1995 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150k miles

I have a 95 Lightning that seems to just die when it wants to. However, I can keep it alive by keeping the rpms up by left foot brake / right foot on the accelerator at stop signs. I'll approach a stop sign, let off the gas and sometimes it will quit. This has happened to me on the freeway as well at slow speeds. Starts up by pushing the gas all the way to the floor and cranking ignition. "Grey" color cloud at that time comes from tailpipe, and that is the only time.
Checked for water in gas---ok. Replaced fuel filter---no change. Ran diagnostic, gave me an error code about temperature sensor, replaced it, no change. Pressurized cooling system (suspected head gasket fouling sensor) and it remained solid after 4 tests, 30 minutes each test. No signs of oil in water, and vice versa. Thinking fuel pressure regulator. What do you think?
Saturday, June 13th, 2009 AT 6:24 PM

RACEFAN966
Ok tell me what you can about what you tested and how. Have checked the TPS? Do you have the means of checking the fuel pressure? Do you have a digital multi meter to runs a couple of test on a couple of sensor? Is there any performance mods and if what? Get back to me and we will take it from there.
Wednesday, June 17th, 2009 AT 9:50 AM
CELLUSS
I just borrowed a code reader and conducted a key on engine on test with the following error code: cannister purge solenoid. Could my problem be this or is this showing up instead of something else that could be related to it?
I was about to check the TPS but then got confused if I was testing the correct sensor. On the Lightning, is it the sensor that is right on top of the throttle body next to the rubber hose intake? It has a plastic cover and then two almost impossible screws to unscrew? How would I get a voltage reading from it if it is disconnected?
For the fuel pressure I guess I could buy a pressure tool to attach to the fuel rail / schrader valve.
What do you think? Thanks for your help so far!
Thursday, June 25th, 2009 AT 10:58 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok what I need you to do first is give me some info on you truck so I walk you through the right tests. I first need the code number you pulled. Then I would like you to do a key on engine off scan and get me any codes that are there too. See you have an OBD1 System and so with that the codes will point us in the direction to find the possible problem but unlike obd2 it does not point you to the problem. I also have a 95 F-150 so I know how they tick. Now I also need to know if you truck is a F-150 or is it a Lightning truck? Also I need to know what engine and what the 8th digit of the vin is. Get back to me with that and I will get what we need to test the tps first. Now you will test this with it pluged in so you will need a paper clip to back probe the connector and a digital multi meter. Get me the needed info and we will go from there.
+1
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 9:18 AM
CELLUSS
Key on engine off codes were 165 (heated exhaust gas exhaust sensor) and 651 (electronic pressure control solenoid).
Key on engine on was 565 (cannister purge solenoid circuit failure).
Its a F150 Lightning, and the 8th digit of the VIN is R.
5.8L (351) engine.
I have not brought it in for the recall (speed control) since I think I should fix this problem before bringing it in. Or is there a chance that it is related.
Paperclip with the sensor makes sense, but before I do that please advise which one is the TPS. Also, the manual says the lines are marked but I didn't see that.
Thanks for the continued support.
Friday, June 26th, 2009 AT 11:15 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok the speed control recall is very important and unrelated to the problems you are having, but it can make the truck catch on fire. What they do is replace the harness at the brake master and cruise unit. Now code 165 and 651 are unimportant at this time as they may be set because they don't function untill the truck is running. Now when you got the 565 code was the truck fully warmed up or not?
Now I need you to do the test on the TPS back probe the gray wire with the white stripe at the TPS with a paper clip and then set you meter on the 20 volt scale, turn key on engine off and record voltage reading. Now slowly lift the throttle to wide open and voltage should streadily and gradualy increase with no drops or glitches in voltage, at wide open throttle record voltage. With throttle closed should read .5 to .8 volts and like I said should increase to wide open throttle with no drops or glitches and read 4.5 to 5 volts at wide open. Let me know what find and also let me know if the 565 code was after the truck was at full operating temp and also check the vacuum line to the canister purge here is a pic of what you looking for. Get back to me and will go from there.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_97.jpg

Saturday, June 27th, 2009 AT 9:07 AM
CELLUSS
Yes, the engine was fully warmed up for the codes except for the KOEO.
Just checked the TPS and got 0.92 at closed throttle and 4.64 fully open. 0.92 is out of range but is it far enough out of range?
Also checked the vacuum lines best I could. Everything is snug and tight. It seems like those type of vacuum lines shouldn't crack/split unless it was rubbing against something.
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 4:00 PM
CELLUSS
Picked up a TPS, installed it and now at 0.79 closed throttle, 4.61 open throttle. Started it up, seems ok, shut it off, disconnected battery, reconnected battery, started it and let it idle for about 10 minutes, shut it off. Restarted about 4 hours later, went to take a spin around the block and it seems to want to do the dying thing again.
So, unless I need to drive a few miles to "reprogram" what do you think about the cannister purge solenoid? Where is it?
Also, ran scans again and the cannister purge solenoid code came up again with the key off engine off, and now 653 and 663 codes popped up with the engine running.
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 10:18 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok this is strange the 653 is Transmission Control Switch didn't change states, which means then the scanner ask you to snap the throttle to wide open throttle durind the key on engine off scan test it didn't see that happen. Code 663 I can't even find a refurence for are you sure that is what it was? As for the code 565 that you had for canister purge valve this is a simple test. Just apply 20 inches of vacuum to it and see if it will hold for 20 seconds if not replace that solenoid. It looks like the pic I sent in my last response and it is located under or near the egr valve. I am sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but I went camping with my family this weekend we needed time away. Thanks and let me know how it goes.
Wednesday, July 1st, 2009 AT 9:14 AM
CELLUSS
Sorry for not getting back to you. We gotta enjoy these summer days in the NW.
Now I am totally confused. After going to numerous parts stores and the dealership I have come to two (2) possibilities of a canister purge valve that may be the problem. The first is the one you sent a picture of, but I can't find that. The second one I did find (tonight actually) and I'll test that tomorrow. It doesn't look like the one you sent and it is in-line with one of the hoses coming off of the canister. SO is that the purge valve, or purge valve solenoid?

Update, Just pulled off the purge valve that is inline with the canister (located below the battery) and noticed that black oily fluid is slightly coming out of the hose that goes to the engine. Is this normal? Also, the purge valve does hold a steady 10 in vacuum. Off to replace those vapor lines.
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 12:50 AM
CELLUSS
Went a different route. Replaced Idle Air Control valve and cleaned throttle body (even though the sticker says not to), runs better. Could not pass emissions, replaced spark plugs, rotor and cap. Went through no problem.
However, at idle I get a brief rise in engine speed. Very sporadic. I think there is an engine vacuum leak.
I'll end this string and submit a new question.
Thanks for all of your help.
Saturday, October 17th, 2009 AT 2:09 PM