1995 Ford F-150 Cruise control

ECHOHAWK509
  • 1995 FORD F-150
I've had this vehicle for over a year, bought it from the second owner, who was friends with the original. All systems were working fine as the truck has been taken care of extremely well.

Several weeks ago, while on I95, headed for the VA, I noticed the cruise control would not engage. Never gave an indication it was on the way out. Probably not related, but the front gas tank is not working either.

Thank you
Sunday, October 26th, 2008 AT 3:43 PM

IMPALASS
Hello

Glad you have a nice vehicle. Sorry you are having some problems with it. I do need the specific engine information though. Is it a 302-5.0L or 351-5.8L, or 351-5.8L.

There may possible be a couple of Recalls on your Cruise Control but I will need your specific information to know for sure. Not to alarm you but one may cause a fire.

I don't think the tank and the cruise are related.

I am not going to have you even check the fuse for the Cruise until we find out about the recall.
So please get back with me on this.
Sunday, October 26th, 2008 AT 10:42 PM
ECHOHAWK509
The engine is a 5.0L, 302. I should have known to include that.

Thnx rich
-2
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 6:46 PM
IMPALASS
Hello Rich
Well, there are three recalls on your cruise control. Please contact the dealer and give them your VIN number and they should be able to tell you if the vehicle has been repaired. I won't give you all of the info on them but enough for you to talk to them. If you want more I will send it.

First One: 05S28S14 01/28/2008 Recall - Speed Control Deactivation Switch Defects

Second: NHTSA07V336000 08/02/2007 Recall 07V336000: Cruise Control Fire Hazard

Third: NHTSA05V388000 09/07/2005 Recall 05V388000: Cruise Control Switch Replacement

The last two can cause a fire so again please check with the dealer.

As for the troubleshooting, I can send you a detailed troubleshooting if you would like but you will need an Ohm meter at least. So let me know.

On the troubleshooting chart for Speed Control Inoperative, in order to check is a: Blown fuse, Circuitry, Stoplight switch, burnt stop lamp bulb, speed control actuator switch assemble, vehicle speed sensor, and speed control servo.

You can checkthe stop lamps and fuses. If you want you can check fuses, E, N, 8, 13 and 18. Under the hood fuse panel check 5

For the fuel tank, check fuse 6 per the operation of the system. I have attached that. PURPOSE
The fuel tank selector switch is a driver controlled device that controls which fuel tank the vehicle is operating from. It also controls the switching between the fuel gauge senders in the tanks.

OPERATION
Voltage from fuse 6 is supplied to the fuel tank selector switch when the ignition switch is in START or RUN. The position of the fuel tank selector switch determines the direction in which the fuel tank selector valve motor will move. It also determines which fuel tank sender will control the fuel gauge operation.

Your fuel tank selector switch may be bad if the fuse is okay. I have attached a pic for that.
Hope this helps.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_Fuel_Tank_Selector_Switch_1.jpg

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 10:19 PM