1995 Ford F-150 95 F-150 jerks when using rear tank

C-LOW
  • 1995 FORD F-150
Good evening everyone. Let me start by saying that is a pleasure to be here. I have read through out the threads and althought I read similar problems none of them are closed to my situation.

As stated on the title I have a 1995 F150 that jerks when I use the rear tank. Before I realized that today I changed the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, gas and air filter ( things that needed to be done anyways so I dont feel I have waisted any money ) but the problem persisted. The problem started about a month ago and is driving me nuts. Sometimes when I get out on first it feels like its chocking and then do this little jerks almost like a electrical, but when I switch to the front tank it runs as smooth as a brand new car. Dont know where to start, maybe replacing the fuel pumps? Thanks in advanced.
Tuesday, June 8th, 2010 AT 10:09 PM

C-LOW
Geeez, few months and no replies? Nice.
Saturday, July 31st, 2010 AT 10:29 PM
See my profile and other CJ 5 & 7 answers. I usually hang out there the most. This is one of my No-Pay Hobbies. Member Here, Like You!

Have a '46 Willys, (one tank, under my butt) My mechanical fuel pump went out a while back and I "settled" for one, in a pinch, that did not have the sediment bowl incorporated into it.

After a while (I only drive "WILLY" during fair weather) I got JERKY-NESS from time to time and went thru my TUNE-UP procedures and all seemed to be good!

I was attributing it to, either POINTS or CARB.

It was NOT!.....My tank draws from the bottom, and anything that goes over the "DRAW HOLE" Gets sucked to the Fuel Pump and then to the Carb, I had already installed a Clear Glass, replaceable element---performance type Fuel Filter (It does its job well!).

However, It cannot separate WATER from the FUEL---As the original Glass Bowl Fuel Pump Did!!!

That was my problem----Water in the gas---ON THE TANK BOTTOM---Sucked in as it intermittedly rolled over the hole!

It was a little, at 1st, enough to aggrevate me, and sometimes felt as though the engine would die with no explanation (Glass Bowl separation never entered my mind). As long as it was only a little, and was "SLOSHING", it kept me pissed....until I finally figured out the cause!

I only discovered this when the station I got fuel from (YES, USED TO GET!), GAVE ME 2 CUPS OF WATER during one visit! My tank capacity is only 10 gallons!

I had my neighbor pull me home (I was about 2 miles off). I found it would not even try to bust off without "ETHER" assistance. And then would not continue to run.

Since my fuel system, drew from the tank's bottom (and rises to about carb height, I was able to siphon the fuel (through the filter, and empty the tank completely, after I leveled the tank by "Jackstanding" the entire Jeep).

I separated WATER/GAS with a "Refrigerator Type" Beverage Container, which had a Commercial Coffee Maker SPOUT. I would fill the container and let the water settle to the spout end, then open the spout to expend it.

I went to Tractor Supply, purchased and installed a TRACTOR fuel sediment bowl (only) before my filter and fuel pump.

I still get a little water in my tank, from here or there (not ever from the H2O station!), but I can now see it and I dump it out at about 1/4 full.

I have had absolutely no JERKY-NESS since!!!

MORAL OF MY LONG STORY---MAYBE YOU HAVE WATER IN YOUR TANK!

The Medic

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/411289_Picture_008_1.jpg

Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 AT 10:33 PM