1994 Ford F-150 Check engine light comes on at 25 MPH No Eng

MPARKER71
  • 1994 FORD F-150
When I hit 25 mph on my truck with an E4OD Transmission that has been replaced in the last 1000 miles with a tested rebuilt unit, the check engine light comes on. Had someone test drive the vehicle and they stated that it felt like the lock-up torque convertor was kicking in and out on them trying to kill the engine. I have yet to feel this sensation. Got the truck cheap because it needed a transmission, wondering if the TCM could be bad, and took out the last transmission. That and where would the TCM be located, on 1993 I know they are by the passenger outer kick panel, but there is not one there on this year. Thank You.
Thursday, February 18th, 2010 AT 1:21 PM

MERLIN2021
Do this and count the flashes...Count the flashes, a 22 will flash as 2 flashes then a short pause, then 2 flashes, if more than one code is stored, the pause will be longer. The codes will display three times and end with 11 or 111. Write them down and post here. First do this with the key on engine off, then again with it running.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Ford_Self_Test_95_6.jpg

Thursday, February 18th, 2010 AT 3:01 PM
MPARKER71
That was the first thing I tried. Once the key is shut off after driving over 25MPH. Lights goes out and there are no codes. Used a code scanner for the first try and the pigtail voltmeter combo for the second try.
Thursday, February 18th, 2010 AT 3:23 PM
MERLIN2021
If the problem started after the tranny install, take it back and let them test drive it. Check connector on the tranny for bent or pushed out pins and a good connection. I show the electronic shift control module behind the right kickpanel. Also check the wiring harness on the right side near exhaust manifold, some are too close and wreak havoc on the wires, inspect inside the conduit!
Friday, February 19th, 2010 AT 12:59 PM
MPARKER71
I installed the transmission. Checked everything I could inside the transmission without dissasembly to make sure it was rebuilt correctly, did not notice an issue. Checked both connectors on the transmission, no bent pins, corrosion, or wire damage. I found a TCM at a local salvage yard for the 1993 5.8L E4OD 4x4 located on the passenger side kouter kick panel, this truck does not have the module located in the same spot, nice flat sheet metal. Transmission wiring on this truck runs down the driver side frame rail, across the transmission cross member and back to the transmission body. The original ford plastic clips are currently in place and support the wiring fully. Could not locate any road damage or heat damage on the wiring. A new symptom that I noticed is, if you press the over drive switch, no light comes on, checked light to makes sure bulb was ok, and when you come to a stop the torque convertor stays locked up and kills the engine. It will continue to kill the engine until you press the button again, and then goes back to normal operation. This truck is just being weird.
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 3:53 PM
MERLIN2021
TCC solenoid is probably at fault, and is part of a rebuild, take it back to the rebuilder and have a new one put in. Also remove the tranny pan, if the filter fell off, the truck can stall comming to a stop, just like a bad TCC! Make sure the filter seals up tight on the intake tube it attaches to.
Thursday, February 25th, 2010 AT 6:02 PM
MPARKER71
Sweet, thanks for your help. Dropped the pan, filter was in tight, replaced the solenoid pack, seems to be operating normally.
Thursday, March 4th, 2010 AT 12:01 PM
MERLIN2021
Good work!
Friday, March 5th, 2010 AT 3:14 PM