1994 Ford F-150 1994 won't stay running might be the ignitio

TOGATONY
  • 1994 FORD F-150
Hi, I was driving down the highway and all of the sudden my truck died and it would crank over but not start. I have two gas tanks and switched to either. Still would not start. I changed the fuel filter and now it will start and idle for a few minutes and die. Also, when I try to rev the engine it dies immediately. An auto parts store person told me he thought it was the ignition control module but I wanted to get your opinion.
Thursday, June 11th, 2009 AT 8:39 AM

RACEFAN966
Ok it could be the ignition module but it could also be the coil or the fuel pumps or? So with that said I need to know if when it dies now does it start right back up or do you have to wait a bit for it to start back up? I also need to know if you know what the fuel pressure is? Get back to me and we will take it from there.
Thursday, June 11th, 2009 AT 10:27 AM
TOGATONY
I just took the ignition module and had it tested and it passed the test. To answer your questions, no it will not start right back up, usually if I let it set a minute or two I then can get it to start and idle for a minute or so and then it dies again. Again, it dies immediately if I press the accelerator. No I don't know what the fuel pressure is, not sure how to test that?Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated!
Thursday, June 11th, 2009 AT 12:58 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok the module passed when it is cold but we do not know what it is doing once it is warm. So when it is dies again I need you to pull a spark plug wire off and put a philips screw driver up in the wire end and put it near metal IE valve cover and crank it and see if there is spark or not. As for fuel pressure on the left (drivers)side of the engine there is valve on the fuel rail looks like a tire valve more or less. Now will a rag in hand hold it over the valve and slowly depress it after it has died and keep you face clear as it should have 40 psi on the fuel rail so it will come out with force. Let me know if the fuel comes out with good force or just trickles out. Let me know what you find here and we will go from there. I also need to know if you have a digital multi meter to test the TPS and coolant temp sensor. Thanks.
Friday, June 12th, 2009 AT 9:05 AM
TOGATONY
I tested for spark with a phillips screwdriver and have good spark. As for fuel pressure, I tried the first time and fuel came out but not at what I would call 40PSI. It more like came out as a weak drinking fountain would come out. The second time I got the truck started and it ran for a few minutes then died I tried to test the pressure and nothing came out. If you are thinking fuel pump, would happen on both pumps? These fuel pumps are in the tank and I have two tanks. Or is there something else that would cause low fuel pressure. It is odd because when I can rev the engine up it will rev at a high RPM and then just instantly quit (no sputtering or anything). As for the digital multi meter, unfortunately I do not have one. I really, really appreciate all the help you are giving me with this. Without your help I would basically be lost. Thanks again!
Friday, June 12th, 2009 AT 3:29 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok does it stall on only one tank or will it do this on either tank. I know the pumps are in the tank and if it does it on both tanks then no I am not thinking fuel pumps but then it could be fuel pump relay or? Let me know what you find and we will go from there. You are welcome and I am in it to the fix. Thanks.
Saturday, June 13th, 2009 AT 8:42 AM
TOGATONY
I tried starting the truck using the rear tank and cannot even get it to start. I went out and bought a fuel pump relay since they are relatively inexpensive however I do not have an owners manual and do not know where to locate the Fuel Pump Relay. I have a chiltons repair manual but I cannot find it in there either. Would you know where it is located or have a resource? I think it is in the power distribution box on the drivers side fender well but there are 4 Relays there and none are labeled! Anyway, let me know.
+1
Sunday, June 14th, 2009 AT 4:45 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok the fuel pump relay is in the fuse relay box under the hood. Now also check the fuel pump inertia switch. It is behind the right side kick panel and is a little black switch with a red or white square button on top. Push the button and see if that works. Let me know what you find.
+1
Monday, June 15th, 2009 AT 1:17 PM
TOGATONY
I am having trouble finding the inertia fuel switch. By the way it was not the fuel pump relay. Can you give me some additional info to help me find the inertia switch? I am assuming the right side by the kick plate is by the firewall on the passenger side? Also, a co-worker of mine said that it might be the main computer, is that a possibility? If so, is there a way to test that? Thanks again,

Tony
Wednesday, June 17th, 2009 AT 2:34 PM
RACEFAN966
The inertia switch is behind the right (passenger) side kick panel. As for the computer I have only replaced about 2 computer on a Ford in more then 20 yrs of doing this. If the switch is not causing this then I would like to check the fuel tank switching valve next. Here is a pic of what you are looking for and what you do is just push the red button this resets it and see if it will start. Let me know how that goes.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_DSC01070_1.jpg

+1
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 9:43 AM
TOGATONY
I found the inertia switch and the red button was pushed in. There was a slot that was to the side of the button and when I put a screwdriver in it the button popped up. I tried pushing it in again but this did not help. I even tried starting it with the inertia button up but I couldn't even get it to start in that position. So I guess we are off to the next item. Let me know how to check the fuel tank switching valve (location would help also). I don't know if this helps or not but the truck will start and run longer on the rear tank than the front tank. Neither will stay running however.
Sunday, June 21st, 2009 AT 3:43 PM
RACEFAN966
Ok remind me how old is the fuel filter? As for the switching valve it under the truck on the frame or crossover. You will need to check the red wire with the yellow stripe and make it has power to it and then you need to check the red wire to the front tank for power when on front tank and the brown wire with the white stipe on the rear tank when rear tank is selected. Now you still should check the fuel pump relay to make sure it is working as this will also affect both tanks. Let me know what you find.
+1
Monday, June 22nd, 2009 AT 10:02 AM
TOGATONY
The tank switch seems to be working fine. I replaced the fuel filter and I replaced the fuel relay. Neither of these helped the situation. I read how to get the codes off of the computer and these are the codes that I got.
157
158
255
314
332
334
542
556

I have a sheet that shows what these codes mean and the only ones that I see relating to the fuel is 542 & 556 but I am not sure what would cause these. In other words what device would be failing?
+2
Saturday, June 27th, 2009 AT 1:44 PM