1993 Ford F-150 engine won't start

JBOBARINO
  • 1993 FORD F-150
Yesterday afternoon I changed the thermostat on the truck. Everything went fine until I took it on its first ride to see if it worked. I noticed that the temp. Gauge wasn't climbing to its normal operating range so I shut the heated off for about 10 seconds the the gauge shot up almost instantly to the "M" in normal. As I continued driving the gauge started to rise. I stopped to see if there was any leaks, found none, jumped back into the truck and seen that the gauge was back to normal again. I started to go home and it happened again but, this time I just continued driving. The gauge did not go into the red but it did get close. By the time I got it home it was pretty dark and I just figured I would tackle it in the morning. I went on-line to see if I could trouble shoot it and found that it could just be an air lock in the system, the site gave me instructions on how to remedy the air lock. So, first thing in the morning I went to start it but ti would not start ! I can hear the fuel pump pumping, lots of gas in it, no leakage under the truck, I checked to see if any electrical wires were unplugged during the thermostat switch. Nothing. I have to pick up my uncle soon from a Bison hunt so, I need the truck pronto if you have any ideas please help.
Wednesday, January 14th, 2009 AT 12:45 PM

You need to check if you're getting fuel pressure. If not, then you have to start at the fuel pump checking for power.

Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, January 14th, 2009 AT 10:23 PM
JBOBARINO
I woke up this morning and just tried it on a whim, and low and behold the damn thing just fired up no problem. All I have to do is try to get the airlock out of the rad. I have no idea what happened to it but it seems to have fixed itself, all I am worried about is that It leaves me hi and dry in the bush, I live in Yukon, Canada and it was just -40 c here just last week. Thank you for you response on my problem.
Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 5:03 PM
If it does it again, check for spark and fuel pressure while the problem exist. Make sure the spark is strong blue spark because if it's too weak, that could be the problem.

In addition to being a mechanic, I'm a school teacher. I teach English and one of my favorite authors is Jack London who writes about the Yukon in several of his stories. Based on his stories and your description of the temp, I don't think I want to visit that area. It's 2 degrees below 0 F here tonight and I can't take it.

Good luck and let us know if you run into more trouble.

Thursday, January 15th, 2009 AT 7:19 PM