1992 Ford F-150 Fuel injection

GMCJOE1970
  • 1992 FORD F-150
1992 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

I bought a truck for my son and it had just had an engine swap done to it. Supposedly the engine came from a H.O. Mustang. The truck did run when we got it but it just died one day. I believe the timing is off actually I know it is because we moved the distributor. My problem is in the fuel system I believe because if you spray the throttle body with ether the truck will run until it burns that up. There is fuel at the fuel pressure relief on the fuel rail but I don't think it is getting to the injectors. Can you give me an idea what to check? I did pull one of the injector wires and probed it with a test light and then cranked the engine but the light did not light up on either side of the connector. IIIII do not have a fuel pressure gauge to check the pressure at the fuel rail. Could you please help with what I should be checking?
Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 2:25 PM

BMRFIXIT
You are on the right track
but some tools needed to avoid replacing good parts
most local part stores will let you use a fuel pressure gauge for a deposit

need to know if you have a fuel pressure and its above 30PSI or so

no fuel pressure injector will not open

to check for injector pulse
disconnect injector plug and connect a light bulb between the two terminals on the wire plug
crank engine light should pulse

I would suspect fuel pump 1st
Friday, July 17th, 2009 AT 10:14 PM
GMCJOE1970
I got a fuel pressure test gauge and the readings from both the front and the rear tank were 41 psi. I put a bulb in one of the injectors and it did not light up pulsing when I cranked the engine. Talking with a friend he said it probably wouldn't be the TPS. I found that there is a cold start relay and I believe there is also a hot start relay but it seems more likely that it is the cold start one. I don't know where this is located or how to test it. Does this sound like it might be the problem. What is my next move?
Thanks, Joe

p.S. Supposedly the engine was replaced with one out of a newer Explorer. I do see an extra two prong plug hanging by the EGR valve, it is coming out of the same harness that the EGR plug is coming out of.
I also did replace the coolant temp. Switch.
Sunday, July 19th, 2009 AT 9:34 AM
BMRFIXIT
Turn key on
do you have a check engine light on
you should if not check fuses
I m not familiar of cold start and or hot start relay
check EEC relay
Sunday, July 19th, 2009 AT 8:59 PM
GMCJOE1970
I turned the key on and the check engine light does not light up.
I have checked all of the fuses and they are all good.
What is an EEC relay?
Where is it located?
How can I check it?
Just to recap I have 41 lbs of fuel pressure at the fuel rail, the truck will fire if you spray gas into the air cleaner intake but dies as soon as it is burned up.

I am guessing it is something electronic because the injectors are not pulsing or firing because I put a light in one and cranked it and it does not light up. There is voltage there though.
Something is telling the injectors not to fire for some reason, right?
Thanks, Joe
Thursday, July 30th, 2009 AT 9:17 PM
BMRFIXIT
ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROL Relay
EEC Power Relay is located In engine bay fuse block

When ignition switch is in ON position, EEC power relay is energized (contacts closed).

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/99387_Graphic1_436.jpg

Saturday, August 1st, 2009 AT 10:30 PM