1991 Ford F-150 Engine bogged down and died.

SOLOCHOE
  • 1991 FORD F-150
First incident. The engine starting hesitating and sputtering while driving at a constant 40mph until it died out. I was not able to start it afterwards but was successful the next day. Second incident, same conditions only this time I was able to start it with continuously pumping it gas. I assumed it was faulty injectors so applied cleaner into the gas. I did this approximately 3 times over the next 2 years and the truck never died during this time. Last week I was driving on the freeway and it started to sputter. I pulled over at a station, left the engine running and added Lucas injector cleaner/fuel additive and drove approx. 70miles without problems. Today, it sputtered/hesitated again until the engine died but I was able to instantly start it up and drive home without problem. This happened while still running with the same fuel and injector cleaner. The fuel filter is about 2 years old. The plugs/wires are about 2 1/2 months old. Also, the check engine light has never come on while driving except when the truck is acting up like described.
Monday, December 29th, 2008 AT 6:39 PM

RACEFAN966
Ok first you should replace the fuel filter as it is time not saying this will fix your problem ok. Now I also need you to test the TPS (throttle position sensor). If you have a digital multi meter then you need to back probe the green wire on the tps and turn key on with engine off you should have.8 to 1 volt with the throttle closed. Now slowly lift the throttle and see if the voltage increases it should increase with out any stumbles or decreases. At full throttle it should read 4.5 to 5 volts. Let me know what you find and we take it from there.
Tuesday, December 30th, 2008 AT 10:05 PM
SOLOCHOE
Your response to my issue directed me to test the tps, since I'm not familiar with using a multimeter, I just replace the sensor. Now I am suffering from high idling between gears. Did I put it on wrong. According to my chilton manual, it said to place the rabbit ears up (I assumed it was referring to the two mounting holes), turn clockwise until the holes lined up. That's what I did, and like I said, the engine revs high between gears.
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 3:58 PM
SOLOCHOE
I figured out the problem with the tps sensor. The inner spring loaded rotary was hung up. Also, I did a manual MIL test and got the code 33-EGR valve opening not detected. Is an issue with the valve itself or perhaps the solenoid (EVR)? If I tested the sensor correctly, it should be fine.
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 2:49 PM