1990 Ford F-150 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat Stalling & Rough I

1999SATURNSC2
  • 1990 FORD F-150
This truck has many problems but the biggest now is it stalls and has a very rough idol. My uncle wants me to give the truck a tune-up to see if that takes care of the problem. But I don't think this will fix it. I really noticed it today when I started it. It started and the idol was about 700 rpm. He told me to let the truck warm up. So I waited about 15 minuets and took off. I noticed the rough idol when I was sitting in it. The rpm gauge showed no change but every few seconds it would idol rough and return to normal. I got to my first redlight and it stalled. It seemed to bog down slowly at first before it stalled. I restarted the truck while sitting in traffic. It idoled like normal until I pulled on a parking lot whare I did not need to give it too much gas. I began to pull into a parking spot and it bogged down and stalled. I told my uncle about it and he said that it has allways done that. I know that ain't normal! What could be causing this? I don't normaly work on Fords so any help would be great.
Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 9:24 AM

Many things can cause it. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Has the check engine light come on? Also, a tune up may not be a bad idea, but I agree with you. If that was the problem, it would do it all the time. Also, check the EGR to make sure it isn't carboned. Finally, a bad idle air control valve or throttle position sensor can cause this problem too. Has the check engine light come on?
Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 11:55 PM