1989 Ford F-150 truck won't start. Has gas. Has spark.

JEFFBRO
  • 1989 FORD F-150
1989 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive 300K miles

So, the truck was running at a high RPM for several days (a week ago). I stopped for a couple bucks gas and drove a few blocks further to H.E.B. Came back out to the truck and the battery struggled to turn over the starter. In the past it would have started the engine even though the starter was pulling a lot of amps. Ended up with a dead battery.

So, I ended up pulling the battery. Putting in a new battery. Then a new starter. Then a new solenoid. Then a new fuel pump relay. And a new fuel filter. Then replaced the starter again (the new starter started spinning which may have resulted in using the old solenoid - anyway, no problem with the subsequent replacement starter).

Truck now coughs, but won't start. My gut feeling is either that I need to clean the remaining fouled plugs - greasy black plugs on the two I checked. There was also black on the rotor so I used a file to clean it.

I plugged in the ignition alarm (key turned and door open alarm). The whip connector under the dash was unplugged when I bought the truck.

The fuel system wiring is a mystery to me. I am able to verify the relays with the test light so I don't understand why I can't detect power at the high pressure fuel pump or the inertia switch when I turn the key (maybe the wires are crossed before the inertia switch closing the circut?). But then I know the fuel tank switch works (since dash fuel levels adjust), but it too shows no power at the tester when key turned. I don't think it is me since I have been able to get readings elsewhere. When I replaced the fuel filter there was no pressure (maybe because battery was out?); However, now the filter has fuel pressure.

In my gut I think maybe the plugs are fouled from all the cleaners and fast idle (?) And I will start there this morning. I also think the engine computer may be affected by changing out the battery.

The truck has had voodoo wiring so I guess I am not surprised about my readings. Prior owner had taken truck to Pep Boys to fix rear gas tank with no success.

Any suggestions.
Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 8:31 AM

LOGGER9409
Check the fuel pressure regulator
Monday, March 8th, 2010 AT 9:21 AM