No power to the fuel pump

COREY1978
  • 1988 FORD F-150
I can't get power to the fuel pump. I have changed the fuses and the relays and checked the inertia switch. I can use the test harness at the relay and ground it out and have power that way so I know there is no problem with the wiring from my fuel pump to the front of the truck. Can someone please help?
Monday, December 1st, 2008 AT 9:33 AM

DAVE H
The pump is grounded near the pump (black wire) to chassis .. (pink/black) wire goes to inertia switch then carries on (brown wire)to fuel pump relay .. relay is grounded from EEC module (electronic engine control) which gets it's signal's from ECU/PCM check wiring from EEC module (tan/light green) wire from relay to EEC module.... (red) wire from relay goes to fuel injectors.

LH Side Of Engine Compartment, On Relay Bracket. Fuel pump relay is next to the EEC Relay.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what happens.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 AT 3:13 PM
LIL_DRUMMER2009
  • 1988 FORD F-150
On 1988 ford F-150 what is the proper way for checking the fuel pump relay and its wires to diagnos the problem. When I jumper 12v on the fuel pumps they run. Also the EEC relay clicks and turns on, from my understanding that is what sends volts to relay.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 AT 3:27 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
To learn how to check a relay, check out our Popular Service Repairs page. A link is below for your convenience...

https://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_do_i_check_a_relay.htm

To test the wiring you will need a volt meter.

Thanks for using 2CarPros.com!
PANDA1
  • 1988 FORD F-150
1988 Ford F150 V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

If the fuel pump relay switch goes bad will it prevent the vehicle from starting even when you bypass it?
BUDDYCRAIGG
When you bypass the relay, can you hear the fuel pump running?
GOOSEJUMBO
  • 1988 FORD F-150
Is the fuel pump relay color coded? Where is it located? If the fuel relay clicks is it still good? There is no power to pump, but not from relay to pump.
Tuesday, September 8th, 2020 AT 3:28 PM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6

fuel pump relay is on left front fender apron, follow link above to learn how to test it.
+1
88FORD
  • 1988 FORD F-150
Hi, on my 88 ford I am looking for resons why the fuel pump was not working and I was going to go ahead and change my fuel pump relay and there are two relays right buy the eec relay. One I belive should be the fuel pump relay but im am not sure. So are there two relays (only 1 tank)
2CEXPT

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fp_relay_7.jpg

+5
CAHUGHS
  • 1988 FORD F-150
Can you give me the location of the fuel pump relay for a 1988 Ford F150 with a 302 v8 w/ manual transmission? All other posts I've found for this type of vehicle and the repair guide I have, which covers many model years, indicate that it's in the main fuse block under the hood (left fender). Mine has no such fuse block under the hood. Any suggestions?
INDYUKE
Right next to the intake airbox. It just looks like a plastic bar. You need to reach under and grab the relay and pull it down and out, then unplug it. Sometimes they're labeled.
+12
RUSHOOK
Is it labeled EEC
+4

Sponsored links