1988 Ford F-150 engine flooding

IWONSEE
  • 1988 FORD F-150
I have a 88 ford pickup the last two mornings, I have cranked the truck let it warm up backed out of my driveway put in drive and the truck died. When try to crank the truck acts like it is flooding, it is a 302 with auto trans and FI. I let it sit there the first day and ten min later it cranked and ran fine all day. Today I held pedal to the floor and just kept trying it and it finally cranked. After that it ran fine all day so far can you give me some ideas what could be wrong? The temp has ben in the 30's the last few days and I live in texas so that is uncommon.
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 8:33 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Check fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge and spark with a spark tester.
Fuel pressure should hold at 40 or so psi when pump turns off, if not then check fuel pressure regulator vacuum line for the presence of gas which indicates a ruptured diaphram.
Also check the idle air control valve, remove and clean.

Generally on FI engines flooring the throttle (ign on, not running) will put ECM in "clear flood" mode, which will reduce fuel injector pulse and provide less fuel.

Don't rule out ignition as a possible cause (weak).
+1
Friday, January 30th, 2009 AT 10:56 AM

Sponsored links