1988 Ford F-150 Dual Fuel Pump

RONJCAREINS
  • 1988 FORD F-150
This truck has dual fuel tanks. The truck will start (part of the time) and run for an undetermined time, then loses fuel pressure and won't start. I have had it at a mechanics for amonth and they replaced the fuel pumps, but that did not take care of the problem. He said the back fuel pump was pumping fuel into the front fuel tank. I have been told by others that there is some type of sensor that switches from one tank to the other and that could be the problem, that the sensor needs to be replaced. The mechanic wants to unhook the front tank fuel pump so that the truck only runs on one fuel pump. What do you think the problem is?
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 6:19 AM

BLACKOP555
Your problem is that you have a faulty dual fuel tank selector valve. It is located on the c frame before the fuel filter and the high pressure fuel pump. It has 4 inlets and 2 outlets. Its black and kind of circular.

Its a obsolete part. Check junkyards for it or look for a conversion kit. That was a bad problem with those years of fords.
Tuesday, August 11th, 2009 AT 9:42 AM

Sponsored links