1988 Ford F-150

DAVID PALMIER
  • 1988 FORD F-150
1988 Ford F150 V8 Four Wheel Drive Manual

My fuel pumps will not actuate, the fuel shut off switch is fine, both relays replaced, ignition switch replaced, all three fuel pumps replaced, computer has been replaced, and I have checked every fuse, wire, and conection I can find. I don't know if injectors are working, however, pumps work if relay is jumped with "hot" wire. Will start and run if primed but fuel system doesn't work. I tried the shotgun effect and came up with a total miss. It did this a year ago and the next day it worked fine with no repair, this time it died. Any ideas? How does this system work?
Saturday, December 26th, 2009 AT 6:34 PM

Hi David Palmier, Welcome to 2carpros and TY for the donation and selecting us as your auto repair site Feel free to ask questions at anytime and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2010

This one can be a nightmare to remember-Okay at the fuel pump relay socket remove the relay and find the yellow wire and turn key on -do you have power
+1
Saturday, December 26th, 2009 AT 6:56 PM
PATRICK BUCHWALD
Ok you need two things to make engine run. 1 power or voyage going to the distributor and also to the primary and secondary windings of ignition coil. Check the yellow wire at the rec relay if no voyage hmm a 2 dollar test light will be ok turn the ignition switch to the on position no light? Then use a jumper from battery + post to yellow wire retest if light stays on then take a can of starting fluid and give the engine a couple sprays. Stand back have friend attempt starting engine. If it fires up and keeps running then your good to go. If it dies then jump the hot side of fuel pump try again to start engine. If it runs then the slector tank switch needs looking at.
Friday, February 8th, 2019 AT 7:20 PM
KEN
Excellent addition to this thread! Please feel free to help out whenever you are on the site :)
+1
Monday, February 11th, 2019 AT 11:01 AM
PATRICK BUCHWALD
Hmm, in case you didn't check the cause for low inline fuel pressure. I took a hacksaw to the pump. I bet there was about ten spoons of what looked like rust and corrosion debris. There was spots on the inside wall of fuel tank also. Why wasn't there at least a old plastic $3.00 inline filter ahead of the tank pumps? Wonder how many more miles in the thousands one could have gotten from a cheap filter in front of those pumps.
Monday, February 11th, 2019 AT 7:07 PM
KEN
Yep they have found a way to save money but it costs the consumer. This is a common problem.
Tuesday, February 12th, 2019 AT 9:56 AM

Sponsored links