1987 Ford F-150 What the heck is this.

ALANDDAVE
  • 1987 FORD F-150
This older work horse has been swallowing the cash fixing a very confused fuel system. However it is still in great condition and has passed Air Care. Recently and only occasionally we will start the truck up it will be fine in reverse and then when we go to move forward it is as if one wheel is spinning forward and one is spining backwards, I did not think the differential could work in this manner. Eventually you can force it to crawl forward protesting all the way and then it will clear up and stop doing it. Until that is the next time you stop. However once the Truck is warm it does not do it only first thing an early in the day.

Does this spell then end of the F-150 and us hunting for another reliable beaten up truck for these sites?

Any suggestion on where to go to get a handle on this?
Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 6:37 AM

JACK42
Start by checking the brakes, maybe one side is locking up when used rolling back, then when you try forward it is stuck for a second. Could very wll be a broken spring in the drum brakes doing that or possible even an e-brake cable hanging up. If brakes are ok, pull the diff cover and look, I havent heard of a diff doing that, but that doens mean it cant happen. Fixing will definitly be cheaper than another truck
Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 7:52 AM