1987 Ford F-150 Low/Varied Compression

COACHROB
  • 1987 FORD F-150
1987 Ford F150 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic

After completing a compression check, a couple of cylinders registered 65/70 while another couple of cylinders registered 35/40. We then did a wet check which made no difference in the readings. Also, 6 of the push rods were so far off center-two of them touching the head- that I thought they were bent but they were straight as an arrow. So, I guess that my question is. Where do I start?

I WAS UNDER THE IMPRESSION THAT YA'LL WERE PART OF THE MITCHELL I SUBSCRIPTION THAT I JUST PERCHASED!
Saturday, June 27th, 2009 AT 7:44 PM

KHLOW2008
Hi CoachRob,

Thank you for the donation.

Sorry if you are mistaken. The donation is for the upkeep of this site and for questions asked, you would get prirority. There are many unanswered questions as we are ubnable to cope with all and the priorrity for you is that you would get it attended to asap.

Subscription to is under another category where you would be able to access the information for the vehicle that you subscribe for.

Back to your question, I would suggest checking the valve clearances. Since a wet test did not improve on the compression, it is most probably due to leaking valves or a bad cylinder head gasket. These are what you should be checking.

If you require further information, just reply to this post and I would be notified and can get back to you as soon as I am online.

Let me know the engine type so that the correct info can be derived.
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 4:39 AM
COACHROB
Thanks, I appreciate the promt reply as I have limited availability to my "knowladgeable" help - my son lol. Type of engine? Is there something else besides what's listed above?

1987
Ford
4.9L
Straight Six
AT

Thanks again!
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 9:23 AM
KHLOW2008
Here are the procedure for valve clearance checking and adjustment.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/192750_ValveClearance87FordF150_6cyl4_9L_1.jpg

Insufficient valve clearance would cause valve leakages and hope it is the cause and not valve leakages which would require to remove the head for valve lapping or replacement.
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 11:44 AM