1984 Ford F-150 Dash lights and ECM won't talk

HEYTHERE_2321
  • 1984 FORD F-150
The lights on the dash, meaning the turn signals on the interior, check engine, etc. Lights will not work. I tried downloading the OBD I data and the computer isn't communicating with the reader. Also, the engine smells really rich. I would love to get the computer to talk to figure out what it says, but the dash lights would be really nice also.
Friday, June 11th, 2010 AT 12:19 AM

See my profile, I am not a "paid mechanic" nor am I paid here. I am mostly a CJ Guy! I am just a member like you, trying to help you out! (I just come here a lot more often)

My Dad has a '86 T-Bird and I have done/learned how to do most of its repairs (he bought it new, rebuilt engine [once] now has almost 1/2 a millon miles.)

I really do not think the lights issue, will be read by the scanner--nor will bad injectors (controlled by the computer, not monitored) Nor will you get a "cylinder 45 misfire", or anything similar.

Had problem with surging--bad idle. Cut off. Replaced with salvage yard specials----whole throttle body, $10 (used the used injectors, 1st time to get her figured out). Replaced with new ones, when we rebuilt her.

Sometimes richness is the O2 sensors (2 on the 3.8L V-6)---found computer did not pick up on that either.I do not know what engine you have. Guessing 300 inline.

Your lights have to be FUSE---Circuit breaker---bad ground or bad connection---broke wire, maybe your solenoid is loose/corroded/ take apart and clean etc.

Are you using a scanner that you count the beeps and count the light flashes?

The Medic
Friday, June 11th, 2010 AT 11:58 PM