1980 Ford F-150 Heater Core R&R

NICHOLASMARKS
  • 1980 FORD F-150
I have an 80 F 150, no A/C, 300 CI six, standard everything. The heater is removable from under the hood but there are at least 2 bolts under the dash as far as I can see. Other than removing the hoses, what do I need to do?
Nick Marks
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 4:25 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Hello and thanks for donating

I'm not sure if your vehicle has the standard / high output heaters or the comfort vent heaters, so here are the replacement steps for the heater core with either of these heaters.

1980-81 Comfort Vent Heaters, Without Air Conditioning

1. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core tubes and plug the hoses with suitable 5 / 8 inch; (16mm) plugs.
2. Remove the glove compartment liner.
3. Remove two (2) spring clips attaching the heater core cover to the plenum along the top edge of the heater core cover.
4. Remove eight (8) screws attaching the heater core cover to the plenum and remove the cover.
5. Remove the heater core from the plenum taking care not to spill coolant from the core.

To install:

6. Install the heater core in the plenum.
7. Install the heater core cover (eight (8) screws and two (2) spring clips along the top edge of the cover).
8. Install the glove compartment liner.
9. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core. Tighten the hose clamps.
10. Add coolant to raise the coolant level to specification.
11. Check the system for proper operation and for coolant leaks.

1980-81 Standard & High Output Heaters, Without Air Conditioning

1. Disconnect the temperature cable from the temperature blend door and the mounting bracket on top of the heater case.
2. Disconnect the wires from the blower motor resistor and the blower motor.
3. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core and plug the hoses with suitable 5 / 8 inch; (16mm) plugs.
4. Working under the instrument panel, remove two (2) nuts retaining the left end of the heater case and the right end of the plenum to the dash panel.
5. In the engine compartment, remove one (1) screw attaching the top center of the heater case to the dash panel.
6. Remove two (2) screws attaching the right end of the heater case to the dash panel, and remove the heater case from the vehicle.
7. Remove nine (9) screws and one (1) bolt and nut attaching the heater housing plate to the heater case, and remove the heater housing plate.
8. Remove three (3) screws attaching the heater core frame to the heater case and remove the frame.
9. Remove the heater core and seal from the heater case.

To install:

10. Position the heater core and seal in the heater case.
11. Install the heater core frame (3 screws).
12. Position the heater housing plate on the heater case and install the nine (9) screws and one (1) bolt and nut.
13. Position the heater case to the dash panel and install the three (3) attaching screws.
14. Working in the passenger compartment, install two (2) nuts to retain the heater case and plenum right end to the dash panel.
15. Connect the heater hoses to the heater core. Tighten the hose clamps.
16. Connect the wires to the blower motor resistor assembly.
17. Connect the blower motor wires.
18. Position (slide) the self-adjusting clip on the temperature cable to a position approximately one 1 inch; (25.4mm) from the cable end loop.
19. Snap the temperature cable on the cable mounting bracket of the heater case. Then, position the self-adjusting clip on the door crank arm.
20. Adjust the temperature cable.
-1
Wednesday, March 31st, 2010 AT 7:55 PM