1979 Ford F-150 Power Steering

NIGHT_RIDER19
  • 1979 FORD F-150
I start the truck and back out, as I turn left or right to go forward the power steering won't work until I hit the gas above idle. I have air bubbles in the power steering fluid after driving. I don't see any tears or rips in the tubes. I do see a bunch of gunk or some thick type of oil under the steering box, and when I turn to the left or right it makes a loud noise. What may be the problem and how can I fix it?
Saturday, April 11th, 2009 AT 1:15 PM

MERLIN2021
At the bottom of the steering box is the large nut and pitman arm that attaces to the center link, if the seal leaks you'll need a ptman arm puller and a wrench large enough to remove the nut, then have someone start the truck and with a bucket under the pitman arm, to catch the oil, start it and when the seal blows out turn it off, now get a seal kit for the sector shaft and install the new sea. Then flush the system by removing the return hose from the pump and keeping the pump full as you run it until the fluid is clean. Put end of hose in a bucket!
+1
Saturday, April 11th, 2009 AT 1:21 PM

Sponsored links