Violent shaking

GREGROSS823
  • FORD EXPLORER
Hello everyone. Last night, I changed my front brakes and rotors (probably about the 7th or 8th time in my life that I have changed them, so I'm not a complete rookie).

I have a 2000 Ford Explorer sport. Everything seemed fine, except last night, when I took it for a spin around the block, I noticed that whenever I turned, I felt a pretty good vibration/shaking on the front of my truck.

I took the wheels off again, made sure everything seemed tight, put them back on, and went for another ride. Same thing happened.

This morning, on the way to work, whenever I hit a slight bump in the thruway (and I mean slight), my truck started shaking violently. As soon as I slowed it down to about 25-30 mph, the vibration went away. I was able to get the truck back up to 55 mph and the truck didn't shake again. Until I hit another bump.

Whats going on?

Please help!
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 9:18 AM

CARUNDELL
Hey greg,
Seems kind of odd that after a brake job you get some front end type of vibration. I would recommend checking out the front end completely! As it sounds like something may be loose or worn. Tie rod ends, ball joints, sway bar end links etc. Failed shocks can also cause this condition too. Let us know

Chris
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 10:46 AM
GREGROSS823
Thanks Chris. When I get out of work I'll check out the front end completely.

Do you think that it is possible that air got into the power steering system and that could be the problem? I did turn the steering wheel without completely starting the truck last night when doing the brake job. That might explain the vibrations when turning, but would that cause the vibrations when hitting a bump on the thruway?
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 10:51 AM
CARUNDELL
Crap! Ya know something, you may be right! I've had a similar condition like that. Try this. Sit on dry pavement and cycle the steering full left and full right (truck running)about 20 times and then test drive it again!

Chris
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 10:58 AM
TAURUSWHEEL
Check the caliper pins, make sure they are fully in, put the same wheel on the side from which it came? Shouldn't make a difference, but hey you don't know. Are the rotors fitted correctly, not cocked? Obviously hitting bumps is setting something in motion.
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 5:21 PM
SERVICE WRITER
Are the calipers spun around when putting them back on, twisting the hoses? When turning additional pressure on the hose may hydrolically lock the caliper?

Is the vibration also on turns when hitting bumps?
Tuesday, January 9th, 2007 AT 5:40 PM
GREGROSS823
It ended up being air that got into the power steering system that was the problem. While changing the brakes, I turned the steering wheel without completely starting the truck. I thought that might explain the vibrations when turning, but was surprised that it would that cause the vibrations when hitting a bump on the thruway.

But after turning the steering wheel from left to right about 40 times with the truck running, the problem disappeared.

Thanks for the help.
Wednesday, January 10th, 2007 AT 9:22 AM
CARUNDELL
Yup, after you mentioned it, I had a feeling it was that! Thanks for keepin' me straight! LOL

Chris
Wednesday, January 10th, 2007 AT 9:40 AM
GREGROSS823
No problem Chris. Keep up the great work with the site!
Wednesday, January 10th, 2007 AT 9:47 AM