Heading to the mountains with no heat. HELP!

OLERED67
  • FORD EXPLORER
1999
Taurus SE Wagon
6 Cylinder 3.0L
87000 miles

I just bought the car and the heater will not work. AC works perfectly. I assumed a malfunctioning temperature control switch. Removed the switch and placed it in my 1997 Explorer, and the switch works fine. I checked the plug with a test light and none of the three wires have power on them. I checked all the fuses that had anything to do with heating or air and all of them are good. What can I try next?
Thursday, March 1st, 2007 AT 6:49 AM

M_H_RITZEL
See if there is coolant going through the heater core. You can feel it if it is hot when the engine has been running. How is the temperature guage? Does it read normal when the car is warmed up? Check the thermastat and fluid levels.
Thursday, March 1st, 2007 AT 9:08 AM
OLERED67
Coolant level is fine. Temperature is normal. I will check to see if the heater core is warm, and let you know. In my Explorer I can hear a difference in the air flow when I change from cold to hot. In the Taurus there is no change in the sound of the airflow. Also there is no power getting to the switch itself.
Thursday, March 1st, 2007 AT 9:45 AM
TAURUSWHEEL
This seems to be a major problem with these cars around your mileage and even less. Several things could be the cause, the blend door, the water pump impellar has worn down, the core has blockage, or the bypass tube is aiding in the loss of coolant flowing into the core due to blockage, major or minor, in the core. I know the bypass tube has created a lot of headaches. Make sure you remove the cowling and check the actual hoses going into the core, they may be cold due to blockage and the hoses you can see and think run directly to the core actually don't. The water is just circulating thru the bypass and back out again. A pal of mine had it on a 2000 Taurus, the core was major-league blocked, when he flushed it out, crap ran out for a good while, 20 mins or so. Maybe this'll help, maybe not, something to look at
Thursday, March 1st, 2007 AT 5:03 PM
OLERED67
Thanks so much for the info. I had two problems. The core WAS COMPLETELY blocked. After removing the two lines and flushing the core until it was clear, I checked the core again. Now it was getting hot where as before it was cold as ice. But on top of that the blend door actuator was not working. Checking the plug at the actuator with a test light I have power getting to the actuator. I DO NOT HAVE POWER to the control switch in the dash, does the power travel through the blend door actuator and then on to the dash controls?
I have ordered a new blend door actuator ($68.50 OUCH!) But since the Ford Store here does not offer refunds on electrical parts I am concerned that I may have some other problem since I do not have power to the dash switch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 AT 10:25 AM
M_H_RITZEL
I am glad you now have some heat. Check the fuses to see if there is a blown fuse for the heater control.
Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 AT 10:53 AM
OLERED67
I have checked every fuse that I can find, under the dash, under the hood. Haven't found one blown anywhere. But I still do not have power to the dash temp controller. The new part is supposed to be in today. I will let you know if the new blend door controller fixes all of its ailments.
Tuesday, March 6th, 2007 AT 12:53 PM
OLERED67
I had a twofold problem. After the suggestion of checking the heater core to see if it was warm, I found it to be ice cold. After flushing the heater core, which was full of "MUD" for lack of a better term. I realized the blend door was not opening. Replaced the blend door controller last night and everything works great! Now I will be able to go to the mountains without having to listen to my wife complain about freezing toes! LMAO

Thanks 2carpros!
Wednesday, March 7th, 2007 AT 6:51 AM