Battery light stuck on

LUCKEYTANGO
  • FORD EXPLORER
2002 Ford Explorer XLT 79,000 miles. My battery light was on this morning and I drove around 5 miles and all my electrical started failing. I drove as far as I could and it finally went totally dead and unable to restart. We replaced the altenator and battery and everything "seems" fine except the battery light won't go off. No codes showed up using a scanner. I have only driven 4-5 miles at a time with no problems and I'm afraid of a repeat if I go much further. The battery was only 2 years old and was not tested but was fully replaced under warranty. Did not have the altenator tested before replacing either. Also, is there a chance I damaged anything else? (Fuel pump etc.) Do you know where my fuel filter is located?Two lube shops could not find it. Great forum, Thanks.
Sunday, August 20th, 2006 AT 5:11 PM

MIKEYBDMAN
First off, with the battery light, I think you did everything correct. It sounds like the altenator you installed is not turning off the battery light. According to the diagram, power is supplied to the charge light from the hot bus thru the ignition switch. It gets its ground thru the Altenator. When the altenator produces power, the internal logic removes the ground for the charge light indicating the system is charging normally. I would have the altenator and battery tested at your local parts store, and if they check normal, replace the altenaor with your warrenty.
On a side note, I woudl check all of the connections including the grounds for your battery, and engine ground for corrosion and tightness. Some times when things are not grounded properly, weird symptoms do occur.
Looks like the filter should be located near the tank on the side of the aft support beam.
Sunday, August 20th, 2006 AT 6:21 PM