94 Ford Explorer overheating

BPHILLIPS
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
I have a 1994 Ford explorer 4x4 V-6 4.0 with 123,000 miles on it and I have been chasing this overheating problem. I have replaced the radiator with a new one (4 core radiator) replaced the water pump and thermostat(6 differant thermostats) and new fan clutch. Running normally down the highway temps seem fine but when you do a hard excelleration like pulling a hill or passing another car the temp will go up drastically like to 250 degrees( accorrding to my snap on brick scanner) before it starts cooling back down and sometimes it takes awhile for it to cool back down especially if im running the hills where I have a long hard pull.

Thanks in advance BPhillips
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 10:40 AM

SERVICE WRITER
Did you pressure test the Radiator cap?
-1
Sunday, February 18th, 2007 AT 11:01 AM
BPHILLIPS
I replaced the radiator cap instead of checking it and the temps seem to still rise under heavy acceleration but seemed not to be as bad, but then again it was 40 degrees outside.

Question could it be possible that motor is leaning out under heavy throttle? I have also replaced 30,000 miles ago 02 sensors, plugs, wires and fuel filter(twice)

Thanks again.
-1
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 6:55 PM
SERVICE WRITER
I really doubt the air/fuel mix is related.

I would be very meticulous to see if there is a small leak that is hardly detectable and allowing air into the system. I can't help but wonder if there is a small crack in the head that is only opening under extreme load.

I think, I would pressure test it and let it set overnight and see if anthing appears in the morning. For that matter, pull the plugs first and look at them carefully for any signs of green.
If nothing is obvious in the morning, gently back out the oil drain plug and look closely at the first two drips to make sure oil comes out and not coolant. The coolant will settle to the bottom of the pan if it is present. If still nothing. Crank the engine over and see if anything shoots out the cylinders.
-1
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 8:42 PM
M_H_RITZEL
I am guessing that you have a automatic. Check the temperature of the transmission and see if it is running hot that would make the cooling system work harder. Providing you do not have an external transmission cooler.
-1
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 9:10 PM
NOS
I'am wondering a couple things. If possible vaccum leak somewhere and or a timing problem under load do you here any pinging. NOS
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 9:26 PM
BRANDO
I recently had the same problem.

However, are you leaking coolant?

If so, it may be the intake manifold gasket.

Check your plugs for white corrosion.
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 9:56 PM
BPHILLIPS
I have a 22,000 pound external trans cooler after the radiator (brand new) and I have a heat sticker on trans pan and it shows good 190 is first red spot and it not red. But also if engine running hot trans will run hot also to certain point.

I dont seem to be losing any antifreeze at least overflow tank seems full and radiator full when cold.

I dont know about timeing being right as it is DIS ignition.

Thanks again for replies.
Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 AT 11:31 PM