2005 Ford Explorer '05 Explorer Stalls While Driving

FORDOWNER30
  • 2005 FORD EXPLORER
Recently my Explorer stalled on the highway while we were driving. It seemed as if the security light lit up and then the dash board lit up followed by the engine cutting off. We had to coast to a stop and then started the truck up again right away. The following day, the same thing happened but this time the Explorer would not start again. We had it towed to our Ford dealership where they hooked it up to a computer but it showed their were no issues. We then took it to another mechanic and they could not diagnose using the computer either. There is something wrong but the dealership nor another mechanic could not diagnose. Do you have any ideas on what this problem could be? Is this a common issue you may have heard of?
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 12:36 PM

LEGITIMATE007
Hi thanx for the the donation, you have the classic symptoms of a bad crank position sensor, not only that, but these usually dont show up on a computer scan, nor does it show a check engine light. Have it checked out, most likely this is the problem, Also if you can mimic the problem again, of course, in your yard or somewhere off of the street. It would good if you could check for fuel and spark. That is the first thing a mechanic is supposed to check in this situation. But just from what your telling me, I suspect the crank position sensor
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 2:51 PM
LEGITIMATE007
http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_test_an_ignition_system.htm
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 2:52 PM
LEGITIMATE007
http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 2:53 PM
FORDOWNER30
I wanted to add that we can drive the car from anywhere between 1/2 - 1 hour before the car stalls. Its happened about 3 times now. Do you still believe its the crankshaft or could it be something else?
Tuesday, August 24th, 2010 AT 4:19 PM
LEGITIMATE007
Yes I do suspect the crank sensor, although it could be the fuel pump relay. Something electrical is getting hot and then causing an open circuit. That is usually the crank sensor, but it can be a relay too. This is why we need to test fuel pressure and ignition spark to know which direction to go. But I still would check the crank sensor, unless you can do the testing first.
Thursday, August 26th, 2010 AT 9:41 AM