2004 Ford Explorer 2004 Ford Explorer: Car Stalling

JFULTON806
  • 2004 FORD EXPLORER
My explorer will stall when I slow down at a turn, it will jerk when I pick my speed back up. Also when I stop at a stop sign or light it will stall too. It died on me twice at a stop light and I could put it in park and it would start right back up, for the most part. I have driven it while the engine is hot and cold and it does it both ways. I hooked it up to the computer to see what was wrong and no error codes came back. I checked the fuel system, plugs, injectors and all seems good. Can you please tell me what you think the problem is? I also had my transmission serviced at 62000 miles as the normal servicing, not sure if that matters or not since we are talking about the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Monday, May 24th, 2010 AT 8:51 AM

Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Have you checked fuel pump pressure?
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 6:37 AM
JFULTON806
Yes I have checked for vacuum leaks and fuel pump pressure. It seems to want to try to stall if I have to come to a sudden stop, I have noticed. I added an additive to my fuel to see if maybe its just bad gas. I still have a half of tank of that fuel.
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 8:06 AM
Has it made any difference?
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 12:11 PM
JFULTON806
It has a little bit, but I notice that sudden stops or sometimes at a stop light it wants to try and stall still. What do you think it could be? I know its hard without seeing the car, but I just dont want to keep driving it and it cause more damage to it.
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 12:47 PM
It is hard to tell. I'm going to try to explaine something. If you have ever drove in a car with a standard transmission, imagiane what it would feel like if you stopped without pushing the clutch in. The engine would continue pulling until the brakes overcome them and then it would die. Is that what your car feels like or does it just seem to die before a complete stop?
+1
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 1:17 PM
JFULTON806
Thats kind of what it feels like, it comes to a complete stop and then tries to die. Like a standard transmission where you didnt push the clutch in or let it out too much and then it just dies on you, thats kind of what it reminds me of.
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 AT 2:55 PM
Based on that, I would say the lock up converter is staying engaged and killing the engine. It could be a sensor, but I hate to say it, you may need to see a trans mechanic on this one.
Thursday, May 27th, 2010 AT 1:19 AM