FRONT END HOWLING

2003 Ford Explorer

Roman17

October, 3, 2008 AT 10:18 AM

Noises problem
2003 Ford Explorer 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 57000 miles

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 FF with 57k on the clock. I have began to notice that when cruising, or when I am not on the throttle and free wheeling, the truck makes a howling noise, somewhat rythimic (rotational I believe). I have checked my front brakes and cleaned them, this has done nothing but dirty up a set of clothes. I have read tat it can be many problems, but I do not want to go and spend money without knowing what it is. Also, when the truck has been driven a bit, there seems to be a thud, again rythmic in nature. I have read that the rear end may be a problem, but I feel it to be the front. Bearings? Fluid issues? Also note, the tires on the front are dissimalar by the following numbers (245 65 R17, 105S, M+S and 245 65 R17, 105S, M+S, DT) Please help!

merlin2021

October, 3, 2008 AT 3:50 PM

Have you checked the tires for minor cupping? If the tire tread is uneven it will cause the problem or you describing.

Sway Bar Link Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Sway Bar Link Replacement Subaru Legacy
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda
Upper Control Arm Replacement