2003 Ford Explorer

FORD EXPLORER2
  • 2003 FORD EXPLORER
Much like the post from DevilDPGC on June 2, 2010, I am having the exact same problem with my Ford Explorer. My Explorer is the "Limited" trim.I have been told that the engine and the mechanics of it are the same as that used in the Lincoln series. My explorer is a 2003 model. Since buying it, I have replaced the air compressor twice. Over the past year, I have been having the same on/off again problem with the air conditioner that Devil DPGC describes. I have spent over $1000 with no resolution of the problem. In addition, my parents own a 2001 Lincoln LS and have been battling the EXACT same problem and have also spent well over $1000 with resolution! Any suggestions?
Monday, August 2nd, 2010 AT 3:47 PM

Hi:
I don't know what the other person's post said. Can you describe what is happening?
Monday, August 2nd, 2010 AT 11:23 PM
FORD EXPLORER2
I have a 2003 Ford Explorer (Limited). It has the automatic dual climate control air conditioning. The air conditioning is intermittently blowing cold air. Specifically, when I am driving above a speed of approximatley 60 mph, the air conditioner blows cool air. Even at that point, however, it seems to be a temperature discrepancy between what is coming out on the passenger side vs drivers (even when the climate control is set on the same temp). If I slow down or idle at a red light, the unit blows with the same force, but start to blow ambient temperature air. If I speed back up over 60 mph, the air conditioner will eventually start blowing cool air again. I have noticed, that when I am driving at slower speeds, it seems as though the engine is slightly mis-firing which seems to coincide with the air conditioner not working appropriately. My parents own a Lincoln LS which is doing the exact same thing. I've done a search, and there seem to be a lot of people who are experiencing the same thing with their Lincoln/Ford products that have automatic air conditioning. I have spent over $1000 trying to fix the problem only for the unit to work for about 4-6 weeks, then start doing the same thing.

If you are having this problem, please notify FORD directly. I believe that there is an inherant problem with the automatic air conditioner in these vehicles and a recall may be in order. However, if FORD is not notified, a recall will never be done.
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 AT 8:59 AM
Have you checked the blend air doors?
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 AT 11:34 PM
FORD EXPLORER2
I dropped it off at the dealership on yesterday evening. So, I am waiting to hear back the response. Someone else told me that that might be the issue. That made perfect sense. What didn't make sense to me is why is it related to the engine skipping/mis-firing. Are the two related? This has been going on, on and off, for months. Initially, I thought it was just coincidental about the enging mis-firing when this occurred. But the two are always related. One doesn't always proceed the other. But they always occurr within minutes of each other.
Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 AT 10:29 AM
Yes, I believe they are releated.
Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 AT 7:29 PM