THINK I HAVE STARTER PROBLEM

2002 Ford Explorer

jamescox69

December, 30, 2007 AT 10:46 AM

Other Category problem
2002 Ford Explorer V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 119000 miles

24 hours ago, wife's Explorer would not start. Jumping it did not help. Took out battery, went to Autozone, machine test revealed bad battery so I replaced and installed it. Still nothing. No turnover, nothing. Panel lights came on, headlights on, radio on, but absolutely no turnover whatsoever. Am I looking at a starter problem here? If so, how hard is it to take this thing out and get fixed? Meaning, do I remove it, get tested by new one and re-install? Help!

blackop555

December, 30, 2007 AT 10:51 AM

First I would like you to turn your headlights on and crank it. Does it dim? Or does it stay bright?

If it dims, try tapping on the starter with a hammer and cranking it. If still nothing, jump the starter with some cables. If it doesnt move with direct 12v replace it, not to hard of a job. If it does move, then you should change your relay/solenoid.

December, 30, 2007 AT 10:56 AM

Have helper hold key to start and find the starter bang on it-if it kicks over replace the starter, if not look power at small terminal yellow and light blue wire, no power here back track it to the starter relay, transmission range sensor and ignition switch.

jamescox69

December, 30, 2007 AT 11:02 AM

jamescox69

December, 30, 2007 AT 11:04 AM

Thanks blackop555. Lights remained bright. Still jump the starter or tapping w/hammer?

blackop555

December, 30, 2007 AT 1:25 PM

Dont think tapping will help now nor jumping it, do as ras suggested with the checkign voltage at wires he suggested. Sounds to me like the starter isnt getting power or the lights would have dimmed.

blackop555

December, 30, 2007 AT 1:27 PM

Will it crank if car is in neutral instead of park?

jamescox69

December, 30, 2007 AT 1:40 PM

Fellas you guys are the greatest! My neighbor is a " behind the scenes" mechanic, we got underneath the truck, he discovered one of the " terminals" connecting on the starter had corroded and fallen off, he got up, went next door, grabbed some wire, reattched and spliced with electrical tape (hope I'm saying this correctly) I put the key in the ignition and BOOM! She started up like new, no problems, no starter replacement necessary! But your advice on lookin at other things was the key, this site and your expertise are a God send. Be sure I will come back here for any other questions I may have and I will tell EVERYONE I know about this site! God bless you all!

December, 30, 2007 AT 3:40 PM

Happy New Year -I love it. Go and tell them were the best in this planet. We'll be waiting for their arrivals.

B5 Good Job Sidekick

Laterz

Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Starter Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006