2002 Ford Explorer rumbling sound during low speed turns

JAYSTN62
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER
My truck has 2 problems that may be related. First I have a barely audible occillating sound from the rear at low speeds. Brakes do not have to be applied to hear it. Second I have a seat of the pants rumble I can feel when I take off from a stop and turn the wheel either way. It'a only at a certain angle either left or right and it goes away if I go straight or turn the wheel sharper.I just had the right rear wheel bearing replaced which stopped one noise but didn't stop all of them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sunday, June 28th, 2009 AT 7:09 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Does this seem to fit your situation?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_exp1_3.jpg

Four or all wheel drive need the same tire circumference all the way around. Put a chaulk mark at the bottme of each wheel and drive t forward for 10 rotations. IF the chaulk marks do not remain at the bottom of all four, there is a circumference problem.

The front noise may be a wheel bearing. The rear may be a parking brake shoe lining that deattached.
Get the vehicle raised in the air and raise the speed to 35 mph while someone uses a stethescope to narrow down the source...IF the noise is present in the air.
Monday, June 29th, 2009 AT 4:44 AM
RICHELE1624
We had the same issue and it was because the wheel bearing broke first on the left side and then 6months later all four of our wheel bearings broke on our 2002 Ford Explorer
+1
Tuesday, June 30th, 2009 AT 10:14 PM
JAYSTN62
I tried the chalk trick and made sure the air pressures are correct but I still have the rumble or shudder when making low speed turns. Any other suggestions?
Sunday, July 5th, 2009 AT 9:41 PM
SERVICE WRITER
So there was no change in where the chaulk marks ended up correct? All were at the bottom.

Could you describe this feeling as a bind and jerk as if the 4x4 was engaged?

When was the transfer case fluid changed last?

Did you do this? :
Get the vehicle raised in the air and raise the speed to 35 mph while someone uses a stethescope to narrow down the source. IF the noise is present in the air.-Focus on the drivetrain and the other 3 wheel bearings.
Tuesday, July 7th, 2009 AT 5:16 AM