DOOR AJAR LIGHT

2002 Ford Explorer

capo513

2002 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 129000 miles

My door ajar light started clicking on and off while simultaneously locking and unlocking the doors after putting the vehicle in drive. I checked all the doors for play, and found none, so I ended up disconnecting the plug on the rear hatch door latch. The door alar light stayed lit, but now the interior light doesn't come on/stays on/comes on while the truck is locked and parked. I reconnected the rear door plug, but still no change other than it will not activate the security alarm, as it still thinks a door is ajar. This is quite irritating. Any idea how to check which door is the culprit, or is there some way to deactivate the door ajar circuit? Also, I am disabled, so it is fairly limited what I can afford, and/or do myself.

bluelightnin6

Very common issue with these model Explorer. Try lubricating each door latch, including rear, with some WD40. The door ajar switches, one at each door latch, can become stuck and leave circuit closed allowing interior lamps and door ajar lamp to remain on with doors closed.

Fix a Door That Will Not Close With Ease
Door Lock Replacement Toyota 4Runner