2002 FORD EXPLORER CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

• Aknight1530
  • 2002 FORD EXPLORER

Computer problem
2002 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 88,000 miles

My check engine light came on so I checked my spark plugs and they were bad so I changed them. Now the light won't go off. How do I reset the check engine light.

Friday, February 29th, 2008 AT 7:45 PM

• Mastertechtim

Take it to autozone and have them check the codes and then reset the light. Get back to us with the codes.

Friday, February 29th, 2008 AT 7:49 PM
  • Sir WortHog

I have the same problem. I just moved to California and need to register my 2002 Explorer with the DMV, but first I had to take it to a shop for emissions testing. It passed the emissions part of the test, but was failed due to "MIL/Check Engine Light". The Smog Check Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR) shows, "OBD Fault Code: P1401 Manufacturer specific code". What does this code mean? Is it something I can remedy myself? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Monday, April 21st, 2008 AT 9:33 PM
  • Mastertechtim

YES THIS IS SOMETHING YOUY CAN FIX YOURSELF, FOR ABOUT 40 DOLLARS. Go to auto parts store and ask for a dpfe sensor and install it. It has 2 rubber hoses going to it. Very easy and self explainatory. It what senses the egr valve operation

Wednesday, April 23rd, 2008 AT 10:54 AM
  • Sir WortHog

I changed the sensor and the check engine light is still on. Do I need to drive it around for a while for the light to go out? Or do I need to reset it somehow? Thanks.

Tuesday, April 29th, 2008 AT 9:33 PM