2001 Ford Explorer Vehicle lunges a few feet before stoppin

KATE2001
  • 2001 FORD EXPLORER
Vehicle has four wheel disc brakes. When pressing on the brake pedal to stop, vehicle almost stops, then the brake pedal goes further down and the vehicle lunges another three to six feet befor stopping. I have replaced both rear calipers with new cylinders and disc brakes. I have not done anything will the front disc brakes and calipers. I have bleed the brake lines and the brake fluid is at the correct level. What is causing my vehicle to lunge forward a few feet just before stopping?
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 2:23 PM

Does it feel like the ABS is kicking on? How far does the brake pedal go down when this happens?
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 9:44 PM
KATE2001
I press the brake pedal and vehicle comes to just about a stop, then the brake pedal moves an inch or two downward towards the floor, then you here a noise similar to ABS and then the brake pedal moves a couple more inches downward towards the floor and finally comes to a stop. When this happens, the car continues to move forward 3 to 6 feet.
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 10:27 PM
That sounds like the abs is turning on. Do me a favor. Check the front wheel sensors and make sure they are clean. If there is dirt built up, sometimes it will cause the sensor to lose signal from the stator and engage.

Let me know what you find.
Sunday, August 22nd, 2010 AT 11:51 PM
KATE2001
Will do. Thanks.
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 3:30 PM
Let me know what you find.

Monday, August 23rd, 2010 AT 11:38 PM
KATE2001
Removed front wheels. Found rotors, brakes and passenger caliper needed replaced. Removed ABS wheel sensor on driver side and cleaned it. When pulling out ABS wheel sensor, the black plastic tubing protecting the copper windings of the ABS wheel sensor stayed in the axel frame. Just cleaned wheel sensor and put it back into axel. Passenger side ABS wheel sensor came out correctly. Cleaned and put it back into axel. Bleed brakes. Took vehicle for ride. Problem not resolved. Didn't have a chance to clean differential ABS wheel sensor. Ran out of time.
Two Questions: 1. Since this may be a bad ABS wheel sensor, does anyone know where to buy these at a reasonable price?
2. How do you check to see which sensor is bad? Detailed steps on what to do, please.
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010 AT 12:42 PM
If part of the sensor was still in the axle, I would say that is the problem.
Thursday, September 2nd, 2010 AT 9:03 PM