2000 Ford Explorer Front Suspension

JMOTTEA
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
My 2000 Ford Explorer is making a clunking noise when I went over small bumps. I got under the front end and saw that the rods that hold the upper stabilizer bar had about 1" of slack, but the nut that holds it, is at the end of the threads and cannot be tightened any more. When I push up on the front end the slack goes away. What can be causing the slack? The picture I am sending still shows some slack even after inserted some washers at the bottom to fill the gap. Thanks. John
Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 10:07 AM

MERLIN2021
Are you talking about the mounts at the frame, or the links at the control arms? No picture came thru. The mounts at the frame should have rubber in them, if not replace the mounts. Links look like shock insulators, and if gone, also need to be replaced.
Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 11:29 AM
JMOTTEA
I am talking about the bolts that connect between the upper stabilizer bar and the lower suspension. Both sides have at least one inch gap. Cannot reduce gap. For some reason the site is not talking the picture. Thanks. John

updated 3/25/09

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/46392_explorer_suspension_1.jpg

What I am talking about are two bolts on either side of the front suspension that are about 7 or 8 inches long. They connect the upper stabilizer bar to the lower. They are tightened all the way, but there is still about 1 to 1 1/2 inches of slack. When I push up on the bumper from the bottom the slack goes away. It's like the front of the car is sitting to low for some reason. The only front end work I have done is changed the shocks. I used Monroe shocks. I have temporarily put in a couple of shims to take up the slack until I can find out the reason for this. I am attaching a pic of what I am talking about. Thanks.
Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 12:04 PM
MERLIN2021
Jpeg or gif format should post OK, if you mean the links, this is the part that connects the sway bar to the lower control arms, the kit is about 20.00 dollars and you just install 2 new links. a rubber insulator must be worn out. The part I am talking about is shown as the stabilizer bar link...

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_exploerefrontend_1.jpg

+1
Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 8:07 AM
MERLIN2021
Yep, it's the stablizer bar link, the come as a pair for about 23-30 dollars.
Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 7:07 AM