2000 Ford Explorer Crank sensor

MARK23061
  • 2000 FORD EXPLORER
My truck has been having an issue lately where it cranks but does not start. My fuel pressure is good to the shrader valve, my spark is good, my battery is good. Could it be that I need to replace the crank sensor?

When the problem occurs, which has been twicw in the last month, yet 3 times today, as long as I keep trying it eventually turns over. It seems as if something is going bad and getting worse. I believe I have isolated the problem to that sensor. Could I be right? If so, what are my odds?
Friday, September 11th, 2009 AT 9:06 PM

OBXAUTOMEDIC

It could be the Crank Sensor but it could also be the MAF Sensor.

Has the engine light been on? With that year vehicle if you have a sensor going bad a code reader will pick it up as a Pending Code. So, go by your local parts store and have them check the codes.

Also, when you say you have good fuel pressure at shrader valve, did you check with fuel pressure tester? If not you may want to. A weak pump or bad pressure regulator can cause you problem also.

.
Friday, September 11th, 2009 AT 9:49 PM
MARK23061
First, thanks for such a quick response. What is the MAF sensor? I've not heard of that. The check engine light has not been coming on, but sometimes that light can act up on older vehicles, so I hope maybe that's it. No, I just pushed at the shrader to see if fuel was getting there from the tank to try and cancel out a fuel pump issue. I don't have any good test equipment. I've just been consulting my Haynes manual and tried to troubleshoot things one at a time with what I've got. I would go back and have them test the fuel pressure but I'm scared I'll get stuck out somewhere and have to pay for a tow. I really can't afford to take the chance.

I suppose I'll just replace the Crank Position Sensor and pray that it's fixed. I just spent 1,200 in June having maintainence performed and tests run at the dealership to make sure nothing was going bad any time soon. Now this. I really hope it's that little 15 dollar sensor I bought and nothing more.
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 9:37 AM
MARK23061
I replaced the crank sensor with same results. No start. Turns over, but won't start. That was my only idea. Now I'm at a loss with no way to get anywhere. I'm doomed.
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 10:34 AM
OBXAUTOMEDIC
Ok, you will need to see about getting the fuel pressure tested. Call your local rental store and see if they have a fuel pressure tester.

The MAF or Mass Air Flow Sensor is located in the duct work usually near the Air Filter Housing. Just look for an electrical connection in the duct work.
Also if it is dirty it can cause problem. Try cleaning it with some MAF Sensor Cleaner.

.
Saturday, September 12th, 2009 AT 9:33 PM
MARK23061
Got a code reader from Advance and had 0 codes. Replaced the fuel pump relay and it started 2 or 3 times but then died again. This is telling me the fuel pump needs replaced. If they are going bad they can cause too much voltage to go through the relay and fry it, right? Since I think that's what it is, I am trying to get it to the shop tomorrow and have the fuel pump replaced since that's all that's left. Especially since I have no way to get it up high enough in the air to get the fuel tank off to replace the pump and the pump sits inside the tank on my vehicle. Thanks for your help. If you have any other ideas, let me know.
+1
Sunday, September 13th, 2009 AT 9:02 AM