1999 Ford Explorer Transmission Slippage

FRANK532
  • 1999 FORD EXPLORER
1999 Ford Explorer Engine Size unknown Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Ok, with the transmission slippage, at random times whenever I start the vehicle and put the gear to reverse, the transmission keeps on spinning but makes a loud noise. The fluid was just recently replace about 3 weeks ago, but it was still doing making the noise sound when I first bought it. Sometimes I would try and go to reverse fro like 10mins but the transmission would make that noise. What would be the problem? And what would the price range be?
Tuesday, December 11th, 2007 AT 5:24 PM

FLEXY5
On some of the late model explorer and ranger models, they had an issue with seperator plate gaskets on the valve body. At one point you could get a kit that replaced the seperator plate and gasket as well as an updated valve for the valve body. The noise you hear is the pressure release coming from the tear in the gasket. If I had to take a stab at it, That would be my guess.
+1
Tuesday, December 11th, 2007 AT 5:49 PM

Sponsored links