1999 Ford Explorer please help

ODKACEY
  • 1999 FORD EXPLORER
Every time I start my car, the rpm starts going down and then it would jump up and it does that for about 3 minutes and sometimes it will turn off, and then (almost every time) while I am driving, the car starts jerking and without moving my foot off the gas pedal, my speed would go down by itself and then will jump back up by itself after a couple of minutes, and the check engine light flashes during that time (The light is always on usually in my car). Any ideas? BTW I did try and use fuel injector cleaner, because I was told that it could be the problem but did not work. I appreciate any help.
Sunday, February 14th, 2010 AT 1:56 PM

If the check engine light is on, chances are there is a code stored in the computer that will identify where he problem is coming from. Based on your description, it sounds like a bad throttle position sensor, but that is a guess until you have the computer scanned. Most parts stores will scan the computer for free.

Have that done and let me know what you find.

Sunday, February 14th, 2010 AT 2:10 PM