1999 Ford Explorer Hot Day Starting

• 1 POST

1999 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

I have a 1999 Ford Explorer V6 SOHC with @115,000 miles. In the summer it has a sporadic starting issue. The vehicle will crank fine, but does not even attempt to "hit". I have tried different keys in case it is a chip issue, cycled gear selector in case it is a safety switch issue, tried foot on brake, tried neutral start, no good. In the couple times I have remembered to listen, I hear the fuel pump. Usually this happens to my wife, by the time I get there it starts, but it has now happened to me twice. I have found that when this is happening, I can spray start fluid in air box, and it will immediately start. Once started, and on te majority of the time when it starts fine, it runs fine. This seems to be a fuel issue, but I cannot narrow down what is happening. I did replace fuel pump relay, with no change in condition. The local shops can't find it, because nothing shows on diagnostic computer. This has never happened outside of the summer months. Please HELP!

Sunday, August 17th, 2008 AT 1:33 PM

Next time it does it, go behind the right front kick panel, locate the fuel inertia switch, has a 2 wire connector, be sure you have power on both sides of the switch. This is the last thing before the pump. Even if you hear the pump running it may be too weak to run the system. Installing a manual fuel pressure gauge to verify this is the best way to be sure, should be a schrader valve on the fuel rail to test at

Monday, August 18th, 2008 AT 7:47 AM