1999 Ford Explorer

1999 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 75464 miles

my autolamp does not turn on when I start the car at night all lights work I did bring it to get it fixed nobody wants to do the job most dont do it all the fuses are good also when I press the arlam on the remote the horn blows lights dont flash I was told to check the power I did disconnect the power from behind the mirrow did insert paperclip in 2 and 4 thhe lights did not go on no power there what can I do to fix it thank you hope to get a answer soon

Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 9:30 PM

Do the test's in the troubleshooting section below. Let me know if everything check's out OK

The autolamp system provides automatic on-off control of the headlights in addition to normal headlight switch operation. The headlights will automatically turn on when outside light dims. The system also includes a delay feature which keeps the headlights on for a pre-selected time period after ignition is turned off. Major components of the system are a light sensor amplifier assembly, located on backside of interior rear view mirror, headlight relay, parking light relay and headlight switch.
The headlight switch must be in the OFF position for automatic operation. The light sensor must be exposed to ambient light to operate properly. Time delay can be varied up to 3 minutes before lights turn off automatically. Time delay is controlled by delay switch knob on bottom of inside rear view mirror. Sliding delay switch knob to the right increases time headlights are on after ignition switch is turned off.

NOTE:Battery Junction Box (BJB) may also be referred to as power distribution center.

Verify customer's complaint. Check fuse No. 11 in Central Junction Box (CJB), located below left side of instrument panel. Also, check fuses No. 11 and 12 in Battery Junction Box (BJB), located in left side of engine compartment near brake master cylinder. Replace fuse(s) as necessary and recheck system operation. Check or replace any suspect bulbs. Visually inspect for damaged wiring harness and loose or corroded connector terminals. Check for good clean connections at chassis ground point locations. See appropriate wiring diagram in HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS article. Correct any obvious problems before proceeding. If no visual damage is evident, repair by symptom. See SYMPTOM INDEX table under SYSTEM TESTS.

Thursday, December 11th, 2008 AT 9:49 PM