1998 Ford Explorer fly wheel is seized

BRANDON1719
  • 1998 FORD EXPLORER
I am putting a 99 ford explorer tranmission that I dont know for sure if it came out of the 4.0 or the 5.0. I am putting it in a 98 ford explorer sport with vin code "e". I am using the torque converter that came with the transmission. The old converter looks identical to the new one. When I tighten the bolts to the tranny the fly wheel is seized. The bolts line up perfect and the torque converter fits into the flex plate.

P.S. I wish I could donate more but I have quite a bit of money wrapped up in this and my mechanic friend who is supposed to help me doesnt really show up. This will be the fourth time the tranny has been put on and taken back out.
Thursday, May 13th, 2010 AT 12:07 AM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

Thank you for the donation.

I would be thinking that the torque converter is not sitting fully in the transmission or it is incorrect and it is to deep, best you check both these prospects first.

Thursday, May 13th, 2010 AT 12:24 AM
BRANDON1719
I put the torque converter in the tranny and turned it until it slid further back it may have popped out during installation.
Thursday, May 13th, 2010 AT 1:01 AM
MHPAUTOS
This can happen easily, check this out.

Mark
Thursday, May 13th, 2010 AT 1:55 AM