1998 Ford Explorer Car dies when put into gear.

BLEEVR
  • 1998 FORD EXPLORER
About a month ago my daughters truck froze because of the cold. It took two days to get it started because she had barely any gas in it! While pulling it into the gas station the car died out. It would not even idle unless I kept my foot on the gas. I sat for an hour and the car finally stayed started long enough to make it home. The next day it just started to die out again. Since then I was told to change the spark plugs. Which I did. It ran good for a day. Now the car will idle fine, but when you put it in gear it just dies out.
(side note). The car had its check engine light on for the past two years. It has been to ford and another machanic and neither could find the cause of the light being on. Her OD off light pops on also (another thing ford and another machanic could not figure out!) Help!
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 7:11 PM

As far as the engine dieing, I need to know if when you put it in gear, does it learch forward then die? Also, have you checked fuel pump pressure? There could have been damage to the pump in the cold temps with such low fuel in the tank.

Here is a how to for checking fuel pressure. NOTE: You will need a fuel pressure gauge. Many parts stores will lend or rent them. Also, if the pressure is low at the fuel rail, check if before the fuel filter. You could also have a plugged fuel filter.

Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/how_to/how_to_check_fuel_pressure.htm

Monday, January 18th, 2010 AT 9:07 AM
BLEEVR
Yes the truck lurches forward then dies.
-1
Saturday, January 23rd, 2010 AT 12:35 PM