BRAKE PADDEL SINKS TO THE FLOOR WHEN ENG

1998 Ford Explorer

lanstec

March, 6, 2008 AT 10:10 PM

Brakes problem
1998 Ford Explorer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 143750 miles

I had a damaged front caliper driver side and all the brake fluid leaked. I just finished replacing front rotors, calipers, and brake pads for both sides. After installing the new parts, I bled the brakes both sides. If you pump brake paddel once or twice when engine is turned off, the paddel gets hard as it would be under normal circusmatance. But, when engine is running and you press the brake paddel, it sinks to the floor without any pressure. The vehicle doesn't stop and brakes don't work. I have bled the brakes twice and there is not air in the system (as I know). What am I doing wrong? I have changed master cylinder and brake calipers on other vehicles (Nissan Maxima 1987, Pontiac Sunbird 1983) before without any problems. Can you please help me? Thanks.

lanstec

March, 8, 2008 AT 7:28 PM

: D
Well I didn't get any help but I solved the problems. Wanted to post back to forums so it might help someone like me. The problem was that I had already mounted the new calipers on the Explorer before " bench bleeding" them. Even though after install I had let the gravity run fluid thru calipers and then bled the system as you would normally do, there was air traped on the top corner of the calipers because the bleed nipple is on the bottom side of the calipers.
Solution. I uninstalled the calipers. Turnered them upside down with the bleed nipple being the highest point on the calipers and let the gravity do its work. A lot of traped air came out. Once clear fluid was filled in the plastic tubing, I tightened the nipple. Instaleed the calipers and then bled the system again. Worked perfect.

Replace Floor Board
Wiper Blade Replacement Scion XD
Windshield Wiper Blade Replacement Hummer H2
Door Panel Removal & Speaker Replacement
DRL Light Bulb Replacement
Windshield Wiper Replacement Toyota Corolla