1998 Ford Explorer All brake lights out on 1998 Ford explor

EZIEGER
  • 1998 FORD EXPLORER
  • AWD
I need help locating the correct fuse for the brake lights.
all brake lights will not work. I have replaced the bulbs and have had the switch checked. I cannot figure out what the problem is.
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 12:17 PM

Exact fuse, I can't tell you. However, it should be listed in the owner's manual. Also, check under the hood in the power distribution box for blown fuses. If all looks good, the brake light switch is at the top of the brake pedal. The power to it is hot all the time. Make sure there is power. If there is, release the switch (push the brake pedal) and see of power is coming from the switch.

Let me know what you find.
Wednesday, July 21st, 2010 AT 11:03 PM
EZIEGER
Thank you so much for answerign my questions.
Ok so now the brake lights come on but only if I press down the brake pedal real hard.
Would this be the brake switch? I went to the auto parts store and the guy there was fussing with it and now they do come on but only if I press the pedal real hard.
I would appreciate any help.

Thank you so much again,
erin
Friday, July 23rd, 2010 AT 9:55 AM
Erin:
I think the switch needs replaced. It is located at the top of the brake pedal. Here is a picture of it and directions I found to help you replace it. It is a tight fit, but not hard to do. Just follow the directions and if you run into trouble, let me know.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_5_27.jpg

1.Lift the locking tab on the switch connector and disconnect the wiring.
2.Remove the hairpin retainer, slide the stoplamp switch, pushrod and nylon washer off of the pedal. Remove the washer, then the switch by sliding it up or down.

On some vehicles equipped with speed control, the spacer washer is replaced by the dump valve adapter washer.

To install:

3.Position it so that the U-shaped side is nearest the pedal and directly over/under the pin.
4.Slide the switch up or down, trapping the master cylinder pushrod and bushing between the switch side plates.
5.Push the switch and pushrod assembly firmly towards the brake pedal arm. Assemble the outside white plastic washer to the pin and install the hairpin retainer.

Don't substitute any other type of retainer. Use only the Ford specified hairpin retainer.

6.Assemble the connector on the switch.
7.Check stoplamp operation.

Make sure that the stoplamp switch wiring has sufficient travel during a full pedal stroke.

Let me know if this helps.

joe
Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 12:50 AM